I love bring pregnant but...

I feel pressure from my mother in law to have the baby ASAP which I know she and I have no control of but the pressure she and some of my friends are putting on me, makes me feel anxious and frustrated. My due date hasent even passed yet and every day I have someone asking me why I havent popped yet? Is there any way I can get myself to relax and tell people to back off...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Possibly they don't mean to cause you stress and don't even realize they are doing it. They are trying to show how much they care and how excited they are about the new baby. It likely doesn't cross their minds that you are feeling stressed by their comments. I wonder if you could respond that you appreciate their excitement, but that you are feeling nervous and stressed. I suspect this would cut down on the frequent calls. :)

Answer by Bmat at 5:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Visit the NICU if you're stressed!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Same thing happened when i was pregnant with my son. I finally emailed them all (together) and said what my status was and that I wouldn't be giving any more updates but they'd hear about it after the baby was born. I ended up having him that night though so I don't know if it would have mattered to them that I sent the email!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 5:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Just relax. These people don't know what to say. They try to make light of it by asking "why haven't you popped??"
    Most likely they are just trying to start a conversation with you or trying to show their concern for you. Don't take it too seriously. I doubt they are trying to rush you. I am sure everyone is anxious and excited to meet your new baby, but they aren't very good at communicating it so they have to say some funny cliche.
    Come up with a silly comeback. Like do you have a needle to pop me? Or some other cheesey line. It will all be over soon and these same people will come to you and ramble on and on giving you parenting advice : )
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• With me I got SOOOO fed up with the "beer belly" jokes! I know how annoying and frustrating it can be.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2009