what effects do drugs have on the child in the first 4-5 weeks?

my friend is somwhere between 4 and 5 weeks of her pregnancy with her first child. she just found out and the last few weeks shes been acting funny to me and i found out that its because shes been smoking weed and drinking a lot and after she told me she was pregnant she said she probably wasnt going to keep it because she had been blowing cocaine a few nights before she found out. how do you think this will effect the baby if she quits EVERYTHING right now? she said she is willing to quit smoking cigarettes also and wants to keep the baby but is scared shes already harmed the child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would ask a dr for sure. but i wouldn't think there would be a lot of damage just yet. but she needs to quit NOW to prevent any damage.
    mommy2xp

Answer by mommy2xp at 5:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I am raising a child I did not give birth to that has Fetal Alcohol Effect (not syndrome) She has a very distinctive disfigured face of fetal alcohol. She does not have heart or brain injuries. She is emotionally unstable though. He Dr's believe 2 separate one night binge drinking episodes by her mothers in the first 6 weeks of pregnancy are the sole cause. The first 12 weeks are the most critical and where drugs and alcohol do the most harm.
    Anonymous

• for one the baby will be addicted to the cocaine so when the baby is born it will cry and have with drawls if the baby doesnt get any ,,, and weed i heard couls make the baby ger serebral alsey<< spell check and other things all around bad for a growing baby i would be shocked if the baby made it full term early laybor could happen low birth wait lots of things could go wrong shame on this women
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my friend is fine and her mom was doing it the hole time she was pregnant with her so it just depends but the baby should be fine if she quits now
    Anonymous

• she needs talk with aher Dr.. ASAP.. shes only started and lil can be done right now.. shes needs to start taken care of herself NOOOO more drinking or smoking.. and if shes not ready 2 quit 100% then she dont need to have the baby its so UNFAIR to the baby, my cousin has so many problems since day 1 but his mother smolked her WHOLE pregnany.. i wish her luck in wahtever she does
    Anonymous

• I smoked pot the first few months and last 2 months of my first pregnancy. I am ashamed to say. My son is fine, and he's INCREDIBLY smart, but he was born pretty skinny, and had some problems with his heartrate during my very very fast labor and delivery.
    And when I got pregnant with my 3rd, hubby and I had been smoking pot, well we've always been, unless I was pregnant, and we'd been doing coke alot. And I kept doing it for about a week thinking my period was late b/c of the coke, but it turns out I was pregnant, and I miscarried at about 6 weeks. I think it was the coke.
    She needs to STOP it all now, specially the coke. The pot she can stop more gradually but needs to be soon. Coke needs to stop cold turkey. The baby MAY have a chance. If not, she'll live with the guilt that I do.
    good luck.
    Anonymous