What willt hey do if my baby is too small???

I am 24 weeks pregnant and have had a sonogram at every apt cause they said my baby wasn't growing very well. At my apt today they said that I have to go back in 3 weeks for a sono and if she is still small, they want to see me every week if they don't just keep me in the hospital till I have her. What exactly would they be able to do for a baby that isn't growing?? This is my 4th and I have never had a small baby.

Gigi76825

Asked by Gigi76825 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When a baby is too small it is called intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR). This is from a handout.

If my baby has IUGR, will I have to give birth early?
    Maybe not. The time of delivery depends on how well your baby is doing. Sometimes, babies with IUGR keep on growing in the uterus. If your baby keeps gaining some weight, an early delivery may not be needed. But if your baby is not growing at all or has other problems, your doctor may decide that an early delivery could help. In this case, your doctor may want to induce labor. Your baby's heart rate and movements will be closely watched to help you and your doctor make this decision.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/fetal/313.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Here's more:

What can I do to help my baby while I'm pregnant?
    The best way to help your baby is to keep all of your prenatal visits with your doctor. You should also monitor how often your baby moves and kicks. A baby who moves around often is usually healthy. A baby who doesn't move very often or who stops moving may be sick. If you notice your baby isn't moving as much, call your doctor.

Another way you can help your baby is to take good care of your body. Eat plenty of healthy foods and take in the recommended amount of calories for a pregnant woman. Rest will help you feel better and it may even help your baby grow. Try to get 8 hours of sleep (or more) each night. An hour or 2 of rest in the afternoon is also good for you. Finally, if you smoke, drink alcohol or use drugs, stop now. These things can hurt your baby. This may be all that is needed to improve your baby's health, as well as your own.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My niece went into labor naturally at 32 weeks. He was born 4 lbs something. I asked the doc if they have to keep them till they gain more weight and they said they keep them till they are confident that their organs are all working properly and have no signs of weakness but weight doesn't matter anymore. so try not to worry. And EXCELLENT anser by Gailll!!
    Yimpulsiveme

Answer by Yimpulsiveme at 7:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Have they given you a reason for the lack of growth? Is the placenta a normal size? are there blood clots in the placenta? Does your umbilical cord have 2 or 3 vessels (3 is normal)? Do you have enough amniotic fluid? I ask these questions because my first was very small due to well . . all of the above. She was induced at about 36 weeks and was born at 2lb 13 oz. She is doing great today and you wouldn't be able to tell she was so tiny at birth. I know this doesn't really help but just know you aren't alone and sometimes the best things come in small packages.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If your baby isn't growing properly and is having stress from it they will take your baby early because it will grow better outside you. Hope everything works out well.
    Jaxonsmom

Answer by Jaxonsmom at 10:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2009