Is ignoring a mouthy 3.5 year old effective to get him to correct his behavior?

My answer? It sure is! I got so tired of my son telling me in that LOUD whine, that is like nails scraped on a chalk board, "NOOOO!" and "I DON'T WANNA!" and "I CAAAAN'T!" Yelling back at him wasn't effective, so as of a few days ago, I've decided to try ignoring him-becoming very involved in whatever it is I'm doing(at least, pretending to be) and telling him calmly, "I get angry and frustrated when you talk to me like that." and it seems to be working! He is very much like me in that he detests being ignored.

WatermelonNerd

Asked by WatermelonNerd at 5:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I ignore it too. I have always told/do tell my kids and g-kids "I will not listen or talk to you when you whine" and walk out. You're right it works. Kids use what works to get your attention when it isn't effective they try something else.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I hope this post encourages more mommies to ignore their child's childish behavior instead of turning violent on their child like too many moms do.
    Anonymous

• bump?
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009