What can I do to help my 6 week old with his acid reflux?

pdanner2004

Asked by pdanner2004 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The only thing you really can do is make sure you burp him/her often during feedings. A lot of spitting up is caused from liquid going on top of the gas and when the gas comes up, so does the liquid. Don't move baby around too much right after feeding, and keep him/her in an elevated position. (Boppy pillows work great for this) Other than that, there isn't much else you can do other than to let time ease it and keep a lot of burp rags on standby lol. Good luck and congrats!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My apologies, I just saw that you put "his" I didn't see that at first and didn't want to call your baby an "it". I hate when ppl do that. lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I made my son a hammock so that he could sleep in a somewhat sitting position. Like the moffii hammock. Or you can put a pillow under one side of his crib mattress so one side is inclined.
    Do you formula feed? you can ask your Dr if your baby old enough for a small amount of rice cereal in his bottle... or consider breastfeeding, there are medications to help you start lactating if you feel your past your window.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Found the link to the super easy pattern i used. I was able to find all the hardware at home depot with the help of my husband

http://anayaliss.blogspot.com/
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• roll him over to sleep (yeah yeah yeah....it's gonna kill him from SIDS) but seriously....tummy sleeping should help - my middle one screamed when I laid her down - then my grandma rolled her over and it was the first time she actually SLEPT. she was 6weeks. whats worse? a screaming baby or a soundly sleeping baby?

Anonymous

• I dont see anything wrong with putting your child their stomach to sleep...I did that with my oldest 3, but I have tried that and he still screams out in pain and then spits up everywhere. He was in the NICU before because he was born early and they already have him on cereal to thicken his formula, hes already been switched twice on his formula with no help. He has a doctors appt tomorrow for his reflux but I just feel so hopeless that I cant take the pain away. The doctor told he to let him sleep in the bouncer or swing for the time being. I dunno know what to do because hes up all day and most of the night crying out and throwing up. It get so bad htat he turns himself blue because he can breath
    pdanner2004

Answer by pdanner2004 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2009