WALK!!!!!

Alright ladies my son has been standing on things since he was 9 mts he is now 11 mts and has not made any progress i need sugestions on how to help him i know he will walk when he is ready but i just want to help him i feel like im not doing enough to help him i just want him to be advanced for the rest of his life i had such a hard tim in school and in life in general so i dont want to push him but i want to help him

kalebsmommy2009

Asked by kalebsmommy2009 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly, there's not a whole lot you can do. Trying to make them walk is actually going to do more harm than good. I was getting antsy too when my friend's son started walking at 10 months, and mine had no desire to do so. He didn't start walking till about 13 months, but now at 15 months I'm kind of longing for the days when he wasn't quite so mobile, heh. It's perfectly normal for your son not to be walking yet, and in no way means he's delayed. Just relax, it'll happen soon enough!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My oldest daughter started at about 12 months but my youngest didn't start walking until she was 15 months! It was a long process but once she started she was a pro in about a week. Don't worry, he will be fine
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You could try holding his hands and assisting him in walking around the house or try getting him a walker to help him realize he can get around the house without crawling. Another thing you can try is getting him to exercise his legs more so they get stringer and his urge to walk is higher. Like a jumper or something. GL
    Anonymous

• The saying goes: "Walk at ONE; Talk at TWO; think at THREE"

Our oldest walked at 15 months. He just got in some extra crawling time, which was GREAT - you are probably aware of how crucial the activity of crawling is for the physical body to develop coordination AND for the brain to lay down bridges between the two hemispheres of the brain for better right- and left-brain intelligence, and for integrated thinking.

Our 2nd son was so eager to keep up with his older brother that he crawled at 8 MONTHS !! I didn't think too much about it, but when he was almost four, I noticed his complete lack of coordination, and spent the years until he was in 1st grade designing play activities and ways of working with him (getting dressed, etc.) to enhance his right-, left-brain development.

So give your little one PLENTY of space for crawling long distances and let him take advantage !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• When he does things as a baby has nothing to do with how he will do in school. Relax and he will do things at his own pace.

The best thing you can do to help him is keep breastfeeding as long as possible. Babies that are breastfed a long time can have IQs 10 points higher or more. That alone is a good reason for breastfeeding. My youngest has an 80 IQ and is able to pass as normal. He is 21 and has a good job and is even starting college in the fall. An IQ of 70 is considered mild retardation. The 10 points I may have gave him made a big difference.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• savannah loved this little cart push toy we have. it helped her get the hang out of walking. also being around other kids always seemed to help, like she wanted to show off ;) they all reach their milestones in their own time though, so don't worry mama!
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I hate it when people tell me "they'll do it when they're ready"

Isn't it my job to teach my child?

my son is walking at 10 months. I helped him walk all the time. I would hold his hands and walk, and when he got a hang of that, then i would hold only one. When he did that well, i would stand him nest to the couch so he could hold on and kneel a short distance away so he could walk to me.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• He's seriously not going to walk til he's ready. You can't force him to walk any earlier than is "implanted" in his brain. My son didn't walk til he was 17 months old.
    Anonymous

• Do you have to bring breastfeeding into everything? Geez!!!!
    Anonymous

• Hold his hands and walk him...but don't be surprised if he doesn't do anything on his own for a little longer. They will do things on THEIR time, despite what you do rather than because of it. (So what Christina did was fine...but her baby likely woulda walked at ten months anyway!)

Answer by gdiamante at 7:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009