Do you think I did the right thing?

I put up a fairly used jumperoo on sale on craigslist for a VERY VERY low price, so low that I had about 6 people call me within the hour asking for it. So of course, I said it was 'first come, first served". So I had this lady call me and practically begged me to save it for her because she was coming from about 40 miles away and she swore she would definitely come to pick it up. I agreed to save it for her (even though I have had 5 other calls about it and at least 4 confirmed people coming), becasue I guess Im a softie. My DH went off about how much of a softie I am, and what if she never comes since she lives so far away and blah blah blah. He insisted I sell it to the first person that shows up and that was it. So anyway, I guess DH convinced me to sell it to the first person that showed up which I did, but now I feel so bad I let the other woman down. She sounded so disappointed on the phone. Did I do the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you made a promise to someone you should keep it. It sounds like you had too many people coming anyway. What if they all showed up to get it. Its just a waste of their time and gas
    Anonymous

• I would have held it for her, but that's just how I am. I am a softie too. However, I have been holding some wii accessories for a woman who SAYS she is going to pick them up since last WEDNESDAY, so I won't be holding them much longer :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yepp people on craigslist, sellers and buyers, can be SOOOOO flaky. As long as you told her that it was sold before she drove there then yea you didn't do any wrong.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 5:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Just to clarify, everyone was told to call before coming over. Isnt that common sense anyway? I didnt want to risk everyone showing up at the same time!
    Anonymous

• I did the same thing once. I was selling a swing. This lady called me and said she wanted it and she would call when she got off work, but by the time she had called, someone else had already come over and paid cash for the swing so she was too late. I think most people understand that Craigslist is a frist come, first served basis. I've never been able to get anything because I"m always too slow!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• First come first serve is the best we can do. I've held things for ppl before and they never showed. I got stuck with the items and that sucked. I won't save anything for anyone again. You did the right thing. Next time check prices on Ebay or other sites so you get a fair price.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009