My daughter is affraid of the dark...

My daughter is 5 and she was never afraid of the dark. Some kid at kindergarten told her about monsters coming out of closets and apparently scared her to death! She can't sleep in the dark; night light doesn't help, she wants all her lights on.

What would you do?

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 5:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daugther has gone through those times. I let her sleep on with a light. If that makes her feel safe. Then I see nothing wrong with it. A few days later she said "Mommy it is too bright. Please turn off my light"

We have to realize to them this seems real and we need to do what makes them feel safe. Also talk to her about the monsters and show her her closet. Once she can learn that there really is no monster it seems very real.

Good luck and I hope she can get over this fear.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Water in a spray bottle it's MONSTER SPRAY! Worked like a charm with my son of course the first night his floor was soaked, I quickly learned to make it a small amount and tell him that it was enough for the whole night because monsters don't like the smell of it and will go away. Oh and only monsters think it stinks, like sounds that only dogs can hear.......
    Anonymous

• I was gonna say monster spray too.

With my daughter it was spiders. So we used windex and I told her spiders were allergic to it.
    Anonymous

• http://www.greendivamom.com/2009/06/03/aromatherapymonster-spray-and-other-cures-for-sleepless-nights/

Here is a fun recipe for MONSTER SPRAY

I wrote this article for a natural parenting magazine. She can help you make it. It also works great on dogs afraid fo storms.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Ha...monster spray is too cute! I will remember that someday when my dd is old enough.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Magic works like a charm on some kids (ie the monster spray above, great idea!) You can also sweep the floor, clean out the closet and under the bed, etc. But like the first poster said, it may come and go in phases. I used to get scared (rather, scare myself) and then need to leave my light on. But one or two nights later, I would feel okay turning it off again. If it seems to go on too long, set the zombies after the monsters...
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2009