What to do with old toys?

I'm tryin to shift threw my children's toy box now that the holidays are here and i know that they will get a whole buncg of new toys for chirstmas. What should i do with all the old toys? call a church or...? i don't want to throw them away but i can't handle millions of toys all over my house..lol. Any Ideas?

xdeviouskittyxx

Asked by xdeviouskittyxx at 5:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Holidays

• Pre-schools and daycares LOVE donantions!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Thrift stores need them for others to buy and give to their kids for xmas

Answer by admckenzie at 5:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You could try to sell some on Craigslist, a consignment shop, or a used children's stuff store if you could use the extra cash for Christmas. You could offer them to friends or family with kids younger than yours, especially if you know they could use a little help. You could donate them to a church, Goodwill, or other places. I'm thinking about offering some up to Moms in my local cafemom group for Christmas gifts with some of the bigger stuff I have.
    Anonymous

• Craigslist! Please! People that can't afford new things are going to CL to be able to get gifts for their kids. CL isn't that hard. It's easier than ebay. You can even make some money!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• We have always given ours to goodwill. There is a drop off only a couple miles from our home.
    Anonymous

• Your church idea was a great one. Churches in poor neighborhoods are even better. These will be given to families who can't even afford goodwill. And if you don't need to sell them for money, giving them for free is the way to go.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• freecycle or an online give away forum

daycares, churches, community centres
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I donate them to the "clothes closet" at my kids school every year. Almost every school has a donation area where they can give away their kids outgrown toys and clothes. It isn't usually well known about though. I take all of the old toys to the school on Dec 1st and ask that they find children who are likely not having a good Christmas to give them to. Ask the principle at your childrens school if they have one. Ask them to make one if they don't already! The school knows the families who need help and send home a letter with the families so it is descrite. I would much rather give them away for free then drop them off at goodwill where they charge more for it than I usually spent on it new! Craigslist is a pain on little items. You'll have a ton of people want them then you'll wait forever and they'll never show up.
    Anonymous

• I wash them and pass them on to other families.
    mrs.jodi

Answer by mrs.jodi at 9:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I ALWAYS sort through all toys before x-mas and give them away. I always give them to a place that will not sell them but give them away to those in need. Last year it was a shelter which are awesome places to donate too! I am in the process of doing this too!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009