Baby girl names?

We wanted to name our daughter Madelyn but have heard that there are sooo many Madelyn's already, so we were thinking Sofia but hate that people might call her Sofie... any clue to how popularity of a name might effect a kid at school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• who cares, if you like it, name your daughter that! we kinda went through the same thing, where one our friends grandaughter's name is the same we wanted to name our daughter, we got a little flack for it...but we didn't choose it because it was that little girls name, we chose it cause we liked it!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my lil girl name is aubrey

i didnt want her to stat school having alot of girls with the same name when i was in school i had 4 girl with my name amy
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It's bad when there are several kids in the same class with the same name. In the late 70s early 80s Heather was a very popular name. There would be 3 Heathers in a class. Some of you may have been born around then and known Heathers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I had a popular name at the time I was in school and did not mind at all. We use to enjoy the fact that there were 5 of us with the same name. When I worked at a nursing home at one time there were 5 of us out of 6 working on the same wing with the same name, we thought it was great.
    Anonymous

• We wanted to name our 2nd daughter River Lane but everyone in my family hated the name and made fun of it so instead we choose Kaylynn Lane but now I soooo wish I had named her what WE wanted to name her despite what everyone else had said or thought. Give her whatever name you like and Im sure she will be happy with it too.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 6:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I was one with a popular name, Melissa. It was annoying to be one of the 25 girls in a school with the same name. Sophia is on the top ten list for the past couple of years too.
    I would keep looking if it was me.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Honestly I am so over the whole Madison, Mackenna, Madelyn thing....It's like every girl born in the last few years has one of those names !!! Sofia is also up there if you are worried about over used names.

Obviously the the choice is up to you not me. I am just saying I agree with what people have been telling you, that name is over used right now.
    Anonymous

• yeah, its a popular name - my 3year old has 2 in her class, my 6year old has 3, and there are 4 in my 8year olds class. it gets really confusing (especially trying to make party invites....gotta have the right one)

if you're worried about a nickname you just need to be firm with people and say ... "no, her name is _____". irritating and annoying but people will get it and call her by the proper name that you want. We had to do that with all three of mine (susanne is NOT Susie, Victoria is NOT Vicky, and Elizabeth is NOT Lizzy, or Beth)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I am a Heather-from the late 70's. There was always 2 or 3 of us in a class and I hated it. I was not "Heather" I was "Heather A". It has not been bad since I got to college and then out in the "real world"-until a few months ago. The parent/address list came out for my daughter's class-and yes there are 3 of us. Three moms from her class alone named Heather. I guess I will never get away from my common name.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i grew up with the name jennifer..................need i say more lol. if i ever have a girl i plan to name her rosalie,julianna or isabella...isabella is common now though
    Anonymous