how do i get my baby to bottle feed????

I need to convert my breastfeeding baby to the bottle. He'll fake eating and cries when the bottle gets near him. he's 6 mths and has a tooth starting. And it hurts!!! any tips would be awesome :)

diabetic_kate

Asked by diabetic_kate at 6:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have someone else feed him - don't even be in the same room, if he sees you he sees lunch. as soon as he figures out the mommy's not there but there's food in this funny thing then he should drink.

and just be persistant.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If he's used to the breast, he won't take a bottle from the person who's boob he's used to having. Leave him with someone, or have someone at your house, but don't be anywhere near - even if you're still in the house it may not work. But someone else needs to get him used to it. He'll balk, he'll refuse, he'll give you the impression he'd rather starve, but he won't - he will eventually take the bottle from someone else, and once he's doing that well, and your milk isn't flowing like now, he'll be more willing to take a bottle from you. I never BF til any of mine had teeth (had other medical stuff going on making me have to stop by 5 months with any of them).
    Anonymous

• My 1st son would never take a bottle, from anyone. We tried his dad, my mom, church nursery, etc. He just would wait until me, and my boobs, returned. I had waited until he was around 6 months to introduce it and it was just too late.

Answer by missanc at 6:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My kids nursed til 15 months and 3 years. Neither of them EVER took a bottle. No matter what we tried. They wanted the real thing. By the way-you don't have to stop just bc they get teeth. It is however time to teach "nursing manners". Once they learn that it hurts to bite they don't do it anymore. Mine both took a week or two to teach them "manners" about biting and never had a problem after that. There are many breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding groups on CM that I am sure would be happy to help you if you would like.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• He knows he still wants the good stuff, try and get dad to feed him when your not in the room, feed him in the dark so he can't see the bottle coming.. good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 6:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Find bottles that have nipples most similar to the way your own are shaped. Then rub breastmilk on the nipple before putting it in the babies mouth. The first few times wait until they are almost asleep or have their eyes closed then slip it in, when they aren't focused most of the time they will take it easier than if they're wide awake and aware its not a real breast. Do this the first few times. That should help!
    Anonymous

• YOU may never be able to give him a bottle. They're smart! Don't be afraid to stop a feeding when he hurts you. If it's a bite, tell him no. If it's merely positioning, play with the position till you find soemthing that works. You can also use a nipple shield.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante. DD has known what "no" means since she was about 8 months old. Basically, if she bit me while nursing, I would say "no" very firmly, take the breast away, cover it up, and do something else. IF she whined for it again, she would get it again and then she didn;t bite again. Actually, ususally if they bite while nursing it's because they are done and bored and just biting to bite.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2009