Are you Breastfeeding and taking an anti-depressant \ anti-anxiety Medication?

I Need something for my anxiety I have asked and asked but no one will tell me what is "safe" to take while nursing, My FCP told me I may have to stop BF What are you taking?

emturner

Asked by emturner at 6:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Zoloft is the preferred med while breastfeeding, according to Dr. Thomas Hale who is the nation's leading expert on meds and mother's milk. Paxil is also safe.

Other meds are less desirable, but the only contraindicated meds I've ever encountered are for bipolar disorder.

Your FCP is probably going from the Physician's Desk Reference, which is as useless as the manufacturer info on meds and mother's milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Better for you to be healthy. Is it really worth the risk that medications aren't all perfectly safe for YOU (without side effects) that it won't have some effect on the baby?
    Anonymous

• I was taking paxil
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• it really worth the risk that medications aren't all perfectly safe for YOU (without side effects) that it won't have some effect on the baby

Yeah, because there aren't any risks with formula... *sarcasm*

OP - there ARE drugs that are safe to take while you are nursing, and Hale's is an excellent resource. I took wellbutrin xl with my first child. I would have committed suicide if I hadn't been on it. The benefits of me taking the drug outweighed the risks, and the benefits of breastfeeding on wellbutrin outweighed the risks of choosing formula. You've got to weigh it all around, and don't take a medication decision lightly. Get all of the facts, then make your choices.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I personally took Zolft while breastfeeding
    Anonymous

• I hated Zoloft, personally. I've been taking Lexapro, and it's healthier for you to breastfeed while taking it than to not breastfeed at all. I've taken it throughout pregnancies and while breastfeeding, and my doctor supports this decision.
    momma3kids

Answer by momma3kids at 9:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I never took an anti depressant while nursing, but I have panic attacks and did as needed take a low dose Xanax. I know that my OB feels safe with Lexapro as an anti depressant for pregnant and breastfeeding moms.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2009