First Pediatric Neurologist Appointment...What To Expect?

My son has his first neurologist appt tomorrow. I don't know what to expect. What are they going to do? He is going for ADHD, short term memory loss and a rocking "tic" he picked up. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. =)

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 6:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Well My DD has been seeing a neurologist since she was 1 month old due to developmental delays and seizures. They did reflexes, eye exams, looking at the eyes, A LOT of questions for me. Weights, height, and head measurements.. They do so much it's hard to say what they will be doing with you. Mostly a ton of questions for you!! Good Luck I wish the best!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Thank you. I probably should have mentioned he is 6 years old. I can't edit the question now. =(
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• they will probably just do a normal exam...ask questions, answer yours, and talk to you about test that they would like to perform in the future
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• since he's older he'll be a big part of the talk too.

mine's been seeing a neurologist since she turned 1 (undiagnosed siezure disorder)

you'll probably be asked when you noticed problems, what home is like, has anything changed (family situations? siblings, pets anything really),

think back and write down as many details as you possibly can of each time you noticed something different. even if it was a food, a mood, the weather.....even the strangest little things to us can be something significant to the neurologist (my dd used to just sit and stare - turns out she wasn't daydreaming it was another form of seizures)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My middle son (9) just had an appointment with pediatric nuerology and psycholgy in Oct. It was an all day thing. They talked to him and I together for an hour or so in which I told them all his background. I wa shaving him tested for learning disabilities as well as apraxia, since he has some fine and gross motor issues. After that hour, he had 6 hours of testing with 2 different doctors. In that time I had at least an hours worth of paperwork to fill out...mostly behavior surveys. At the end of the day, I was scheduled to come back in 2 weeks for the results. It was a long day, but so worth it to get definitive results that will help him in school.

He had been diagnosed with Adhd in 1st grade..his results from pediatric nuero psych were apraxia, dysgraphia and non verbal learning disorder.

Good luck!
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 12:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Write everything down before you go that you can think of, symptoms, questions, concerns, etc, so that you're a bit less distressed while you're there. Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Did your child lack oxygen when he was born?
    Anonymous