Is the Devil pure evil?

Another question got me curious and I feel I should state up front this is a curiosity not an attempt to bash or disprove a religion.

If other faiths healers are said to be using demonic power by the christian faith and they use these powers to heal and help people does that mean the devil is not 100% evil? If he is than why be so helpful?

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• good question... :)
    Anonymous

• Probably has to do with deception LOL.

I think its a great question and I dont believe Ive seen one like it recently, at least.

Personally, I dont believe in the devil and even if I did I wouldnt say he was pure evil simply cuz I think he is what we make of him(or what our churches tell us he is).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My belief is that the Devil uses this for manipulation and power and control. Just as God uses turmoil, challenge, and hard times for GOOD. God allows for both good and evil because in His Wisdom, there "can" always come opportunity for us to "rise" to the challenge. To build character, one cannot enjoy a perfect life. What good does an easy life have in building strength and wisdom? If Satan uses "healing powers" to heal - it is to coerce for Satan's work. It is seductive to get what you want. If Satan gives you what you want - (eg instant gratification, highs from drugs/alcohol/sex, money, ease of life, etc) then what use would you have for a loving and holy God? These "gifts" from Satan seek to destroy - thus the "fruits" of these so-called "gifts" from Satan often lead to addiction, infidelity, greed, selfishness, insensitivity, jealousy, confusion, emptiness, paranoia, war.....

TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• well i dont believe that it is "demonic" if it is helping people. i really dont believe in "religion" but i DO believe in God. but i feel that he made all of us, including the devil. so how can it be demonic if its from God.
    got2bfroggy

Answer by got2bfroggy at 7:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The devil is absence of love.  He can do seemingly "good" things, but with the ultimate purpose of misleading.

Look at what child molesters do. The befriend kids, buy them stuff, do lots of "nice" things for them.

Or, look at fraudulent investors - before they bilk their own best friends out of everything they own, they usually do many, many nice things first.

shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 7:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• So you think most the people healed by these faith healers will lead evil lives because of where the healing came from?
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Oh yes, I also agree with got2bfroggy, that it may not be healing from the Devil...it could be healing from God. And I think about this along the same lines as what I was saying before. Satan uses "good" people for evil just as God uses "evil" people for good. But again, this is simply MY OWN OPINION and MY OWN UNDERSTANDING about this subject. :)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No Alanaplus3 - I absolutely do NOT think the faith healers wil lead evil lives necessarily....there is no real way to judge this on a blanket, all-encompassing basis.....on an individual basis, the healer or the healed may or may not lead evil lives....

shellbyrne brought up great examples of the false "goodness" that is often brought forth by the Devil....for evil.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The devil will give empty promises and riches that won't lead us to love. Kind of like money is the root of all evil. Money isn't what makes people evil but money can do funny things to a person's mind. So while the devil might we showing us good things in the end it is a misleading and nothing more than empty promises.
    Anonymous

• Yes he is pure evil, and the purpose is to drag people away from the truth and follow a false leader, which leads to hell. I am not saying this personally, but saying this as to answer your question.
    Anonymous