My 3 year old REFUSES to go potty PLEASE HELP

My son is 3 1/2 years old and the only time he will use the bathroom is if I ask him if he has to go. Sometimes he says no and then goes in his pants 5 min later. He has never pooped in the potty, always in his pants. It is getting very frustrating. I know I shouldn't compare, but his brother was in underwear the day he turned 2. PLEASE HELP!!!

3lilheathens

Asked by 3lilheathens at 7:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's just a different kid. They do totally forget (hence the wet pants five minutes later). Try making him go (taking him to the potty and asking him to try often). For him, he may just be starting the process unlike his older brother. Also, the poop is a challenge. Try to figure out when he'll go (like after food or juice) and sit him up there. Could be he needs a few more months but I bet you'll get the pee thing down sooner than you think. it's the poop that you may need to bribe to get done--stickers or something, or his choice for dinner if he poops, etc. Good luck. I know, it's awful!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• put pull-ups on him and leave him be. What difference does it make when he goes in the toilet? Stop stressing. At some point he will go.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Put him in underwear. Take the diapers and pull-ups away completely (except at night). Never go back to diapers. He'll get it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have the same problem with my 3 year old daughter. I have tried everything, including putting her in panties she just pees all over the carpet.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009