Is it ok to include info about siblings in xmas letters?

I write an xmas letter about our family and send it out to our immediate family, aunts, uncles, cousins, and close friends. I am the only that does this in my or my dh's immediate family, as far as I know. I usually include a sentence about my and my dh's siblings, what's new with them (marriage, births, new jobs). Someone in my dh's family pointed out that that wasn't typical, wondering why was I putting info about them in our xmas letter. Am I stepping overbounds putting this basic info in? The paragraph about my siblings I only send to my side of the family and vice versa I send only the info about his siblings to his relatives or friends who know them personally.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Holidays

• I wouldnt do it with out thier permission.

Perhaps they do not do it because they are lazy....perhaps it is that they are private and dont want everything, good or bad, public knowledge
    Anonymous

• ...in a way it is. Your siblings may feel like if they want them to know their business then they will tell it themselves or they could call and talk to them instead of having you share it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OP here: Sounds like good advice. In truth I had never thought of it before as an issue. I've sent out 2 letters in the last 2 yrs and maybe the person who had reservations never actually read it before to notice I mentioned they were doing fine? Everyone has happily talked to me about it except for one family member who was wondering why in the world I would put info about their family in. I'll just leave them off- in truth it is their family their business. I hope it won't look weird.
    Anonymous

• I would only put info about them that personally involves me or my family. Acceptable "I am very excited to be an aunt again! My sister Jan had her third daughter, Clare, in Nov." Not acceptable "My sister is having a hard time finding a new job since you got laid off 9 months ago. Hopefully she'll be employed soon!" lol. If they don't like it thats fine you can just leave them out altogether.
    Anonymous