Do you think it's petty to not talk to someone about subjects that you DO agree on simply because you disagree on religion?

I am very active in a number of groups on here that have nothing to do with religion - work at home, anti-vaccine, All My Children fans and others... More than once I have had people refuse to chat with me, add me as a friend or block me all together simply because of my religious views. I do not push religion and see it as completely petty to refuse contact with someone about subjects that have nothing to do with religious views simply because they don't agree with you 100% about God...

I can't be alone right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What can I say? Some people just aren't playing with a full deck. I don't know ANYONE that agrees with my religious views... doesn't mean I'm friendless. In fact, I've had the same BFF since I was 3 yrs old.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Ya thats pretty silly imho. However, some people have sticks up their bums and havent found the will or umph to pull them out.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• yeah, that's petty.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don't know about petty, but I certainly think it's silly! You're going to miss out on a lot of wonderful people if your criteria for friendship is only those who think exactly like you do!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• yeah, thats pretty sad.

"However, some people have sticks up their bums and havent found the will or umph to pull them out." Amaranth
    (just wanted to see the word bum & umph together one more time!)

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• one's beliefs, religiously speaking, are sometimes of the most importance to them. where there's a definite divide, in those beliefs between two people, it can hinder the furthering of a relationship. sometimes its just too big a bridge for some people to cross. i wouldn't call it petty..i'd call it a personal choice. sure, they may 'miss out' on knowing someone who may be spectacular, but its a personal decision. you can't control what anyone else does..you can only control what you do and how you react to others.
    its just life.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my best friend and i are different religions and sometimes we talk about it, but we usually talk about other stuff like our kids or work, or shopping. There are some relatives that although having so much in common once becoming a JW have stopped speaking altogether. : (
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• In my experience, the people who don't want to associate with you because of a difference in beliefs are the ones who are insecure about what they believe. It seems like there are alot of people who profess their faith on here but can't back up why they believe what they do and are very uncomfortable discussing anything that differs from their faith (like if they talk about another belief it will make them lose their faith in their brand of religion) If that makes any sense? lol
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I agree that it's sad to not talk to someone over a cup of coffee about kids, work, school, etc because they are not of the same faith. I agree with MrsHart6 in that these people are insecure, (misinformed, or new) in their beliefs. I'll chat with just about anybody. Care for a cup? drinking

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You can draw a line right down the middle of my friends list. On one side are the ones who "agree" with me religiously and we are at each others throats, so to speak, politically. On the other are those who agree with me politically, and absolutely disagree religiously. There's not a single person on my friends list that I agree with about more than half of anything. The women in your groups need to grow up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2009