The consistency of breast milk?

My breast milk is very watery looking and was wondering if I'm not eating the right things. Sometimes baby coughs when I'm feeding her (bottle feeding btw) I mentioned this to her pediatrician and she suggested I add formula. I don't knoew, but doesn't it defeat the purpose? I've been pumping for four days.

Gelijones

Asked by Gelijones at 7:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastmilk is MOSTLY water. Likely no problem here at all. Kudos to you for being willing to pump...it's the tough road and I know I couldn't do it!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It could be you're not getting any of the hindmilk - the foremilk is very thin and watery, most of the fat is in the hindmilk which is more creamy. If it's possible, put your baby to the breast - their little mouths are more efficient at getting it all out than a pump.
    Anonymous

• I had a c-section and was not able to nurse her b/c of the meds so she was bottle fed. I have tried to get her to latch, but have not succeded. I'm still hoping she will latch b/c it's not fun pumping.lol
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 9:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I pumped soley for 7 weeks. My son was treated for thrush during week 6 and week 7 he finally latched on. I still pump at night though. Much easier to stick a bottle in his mouth. We tried to nurse at night and that was a disaster. I feel like I am not producing enough and have been drinking mother's milk, taken fenugreek, tried everything- my son still appears hungry during the day after he nurses. I supplement with formula.
    MaWolf

Answer by MaWolf at 10:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Even with hind milk breastmilk is very watery. Yours sounds fine. Just make sure you are pumping for long enough on both sides. Your pediatrician does not sound like he knows very much about breastfeeding (a lot of them don't). Be wary of taking his advice without checking it out first. Your breastmilk is enough for your child DO NOT add formula. Unless she suddenly isn't thriving and feeding her more breastmilk isn't working.
    Why are you bottle feeding? Not judging just wondering.
    Anonymous

• There is NO reason to add formula! I don't know where doctors come up with this nonsense. If you want real breastfeeding advice ask a lactation consultant, not a doctor, because unless they have the letters IBCLC after their name they are not experts. That being said, I'm not an expert as far as training goes, but I have been breastfeeding my son for almost 2 years now. :) Breast milk is kind of watery looking. Mine is white, almost bluish it's so white and thin. Other than colostrum, breast milk is not usually thick. Your breast milk will slightly change consistency during nursing or pumping. Foremilk (the milk that comes at the start of a feeding) is thinner and that is to quench baby's thirst. Hindmilk is a little more opaque and is actually thicker and keeps baby fuller longer. If you are pumping though, both types of milk will be mixed together and breast milk is still not thick looking like cows milk.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Slightly OT, but I wanted to let you know that most C section meds are fine to take while nursing, just in case you have another baby and another C section.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2009