New job and no money for gas, etc....?

I just got hired today (after almost a year of having no job; took maternity leave and never went back). Our cash flow is minimal, so I started looking for a job about 3 months ago.

Today I got hired at a REALLY GREAT place, pays really good, all kinds of benefits, bonuses etc. The problem is that I have to drive about 100 miles total a day (for out-of-office appointments) and I have NOOOO cash/credit for gas! Like literally, when my husband gets paid, I might be able to use $20 of it for gas.

Does anyone know a solution? I can't borrow from family (I've been borrowing from my mom a LOT already to make ends meet), and I have NO credit for a loan. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• BTW...you mention out of office appointments? So I'm guessing that carpools and public transportation would NOT work? Is it sales? Is there a base salary PLUS commission? If not...run screaming the other way because it's not as great as it seems. Been there done that with sales!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Ask your mom and pay her back first that's what family is for she will be happy that you go a really great job and as mommy myself I would want my child to come o me when they need something put yourself in your moms shoes what would she want to do?! Just call her and ask her for some more $$ and I am willing to bet she will loan it to you.
    Anonymous

• You may need to take the bus/subway/ or any other public form of transportation. Try seeing if any of your friends travel near your job area and try to catch a ride. If not you can always ask your new co-workers if they want to car pull/pool??

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• NO credit is not usually a problem for a gas company card...you might try filling out an application. BAD credit would be an issue.

And go over it with your husband. You may need to cut something else back for the time being, until your income gets going.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Try asking your employer to give you a gas card. And congrats!
    Readerlady

Answer by Readerlady at 8:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Can you get a company credit card for expense? An advance on your expense account? A draw on future commissions? A loan from a friend or family member.

Good luck and congratulations on the new gig!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes, it is a sales job. It's hourly PLUS commission. I'm not getting my hopes up too high yet, because it sounds really great, and I'm used to working minimum wage, lol.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and I forgot to add that public transportation is not an option. There aren't any buses, trains, etc., here. There are taxicabs, but again that's moot, because I might as well drive myself, lol.
    Anonymous

• There are always ways to come up with money. Eat peanut butter sandwiches ,soup, and ramen noodles for a week or two and take the grocery money to buy gas. Sell something. Pawn something. Donate plasma.
    Anonymous

• Could you get a cash advance from a check cashing place? I totally understand your problem. Maybe your family would understand as well and loan you some one more time. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2009