Has anyone heard of the Jesse tree?

The kids are going to the alter on Sunday to participate in this. Anyone heard of this?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 7:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• While nearly everyone has a Christmas tree, there has been reluctance in some circles to incorporate Christmas trees into the church sanctuary, arising from suspicions about the pagan origin of the symbol. However, since the Christmas tree has become such a part of Christmas celebration around the world, it seems more important to give it some clearly Christian meaning.

Some churches do this with a service of the Hanging of the Green. Some use a Christmas tree with ornaments representing symbols of the Christian Faith (see Christian Symbols: Christmas Ornaments). Others use a tree, either at home or in the sanctuary, as a Jesse Tree. This is a tree, or a large banner with a symbolic tree, that is decorated each week, usually by the children, with ornaments or objects that represent Old Testament events from Creation to the Birth of Jesus. The ornaments are traditionally handmade, and are added one each day of Advent, or a gr
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 8:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes! We use to to Jesse trees during Advent at the Catholic school I attended. It's a great way to learn about how the Old Testament relates to the New Testament.  I keep thinking this is something I should do with my kids.   This site provides helpful instructions.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes, I've heard of it. My parents used to have one when we were growing up. Great way to see how everything fit from Adam and Eve down to Jesus Himself. :-) Hope the kids have fun with it! :-)
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Thank you for posting the site. I've never heard of the Jesse tree, what a great idea.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2009