I am having the hardest time with breastfeeding, but I do not want to stop and neither does my son. HELP!

My son is nine months old and he BITES! He only bites my left side. He bites every feeding on that side. We spend the whole time battling. Before I would yelp in pain and tap his cheek and no response. I was advised to pull him into the breast but that was unsuccessful. Now I just yell in pain and he ends up crying while I am and we hold each other until we are ready to give it another try. I thought it was the position we use so I've changed positions. He just always bites. I don't know what to do.

Plus I just got a new job where I will be working 40 hours a week starting Monday. How can I make the transition for him easier? I am going to get a pump to relieve myself at work. He has had a hard time taking a bottle before.

Any advice for both of my dilemmas?? haha I am stressing!!!

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try www.kellymom.com for some advice -- there is a wealth of information there.

At 9 months you son may just take a cup or sippy cup. Or, he may reverse cycle and just wait for you to come home.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• When my son did that I said NO very firmly and took the nipple out of his mouth. It only took a few times before he got cause and effect
    Anonymous

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/3504778/WHEN_BABIES_ATTACK_Or_how_to_stop_biting
    Check out this link.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 8:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I thought my son was biting too, but it turns out I had thrush. Sense you're only getting this pain on one side, is it possible you have thrush and he isn't really biting? Instead of feeling one chomp are you feeling a sensation like he's gnawing on you or his teeth are scraping you? If so, that's thrush. Call your OB for some Diflucan and his pediatrician for Nystatin right away.

Mine and my son's case of thrush got so bad that he self weaned at 10.5 months old and I never got him to latch back on. Its was heart breaking.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my dd is 8 1/2 months old and she does the sae thing!!!! I made it this far breastfeeding so I ain't givin up until she's at least 12 months... what works for us ( at least for a week or so in between bites is ) pull baby off the breast after a bite (Obvi) then tell them"NO! That HURTS Mommy!" then put them right out of reach of you and ignore them (Meaning don't even look at him... look the complete opposite direction) for like a minute.... this seems to work for a while (a week or two...) until she ultimately wants to test my pain level again.... ugh... maybe it will work better for you (this is what a lactation specialist told me to do btw) also, my dd stopped taking a bottle of expressed milk at 3 months... she now sometimes will drink an ounce of 2 of it from a sippy cup if I'm not around... good luck
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My daughter was a biter - I did what marchma2b mentioned, and it worked for the most part. . . . ;) Another thing that helped me was to stick a teether in her mouth every time she bit me and tell her that we bite the teether, not mommy. As far as the bottle - - I would try a sippy cup instead. If he's had problems with a bottle in the past, at 9 months it really isn't worth the hassle to try to force him to take one now. Get a couple different kids to figure out what kind he prefers and then stock up on those. Good luck!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Try just pumping the left breast and giving it to him in a sippy cup or bottle. That might also help for when you're working 40 hours a week too, but you'll have to pump both breasts.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• For pumping at work After you pump for 10 or 15 minutes. Try massaging and hand expressing each breast you should be able to get some more hind milk out too that the pump would otherwise not get out. Good luck momma!!
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 12:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2009