Why isnt my daughter eating like she needs to?

i am soo frustrated. My daughter will be One Year old on saturday. She has 8 teeth and usually chews like a champ. she refused to eat baby food for awhile now. she usually eats the gerber graduates meals, loves em. especially the mac and cheese. although she refuses to eat the veggies ( which is normal right? ) she also liked the ones with the meats in them. now all of a sudden she wont! she actually manages to spit the meat out of them but likes the rest. she REFUSES to eat the veggies ( unless they are mixed in ) she eats the speghetti Os and the mac and cheese and all thata without a problem, but is that enough? i feel like she should have more variety. and i cant figure out why she wont eat the meat. it looks like she just doesnt like it. i mean my husband and i eat alot of baked chicken and turkey and we tried giving it to her and she doesnt like it. she likes pankcakes though and otameal. is this stuff enough nutrition?

Mommy2Layla08

Asked by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like a normal toddler stage to me. we have kids at my job who will only eat lunchables,or only eat mac & cheese. If you are that concerned about her nutrition try a multi vitamin for children.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 8:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Just keep trying with other meats, not the gerber. They aren't that tasty and she probably thinks it's all yucky. If she eats spaghetti, get some ground meat in the sauce she eats, she'll never know. You can also, mince up cooked broccoli into the sauce and she won't know. It's a good way to get that nutrition in when they get a little picky. I used to put broccoli in potatos, mac n cheese and spaghetti sauce. They never knew. Oh and try getting a little diced chicken blended into her mac n cheese or some ground beef. It gets so cheesey they like it more. Good luck.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 8:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• thanks ladies, MOM tha2BOYZ thats not a bad idea, the gerber stuff has mac and cheese with veggies in it and she loves it! but i feel like she shouldnt eat just that and speghetti lol i know i cant stand eating the same thing everyday maybe that has something to do with it. i just want the best for her you know?
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I went through this and turned out my daughter's iron was low. They do sell formula for toddlers it's called Good Start 2. My daughter is 18 months and she is on that now in place of milk. You can also give her a multivitamin mixed in applesauce but mine didnt like it.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• MLM my daughter drinks milk but she prefers formula although im trying like hell to get her off it completly. but being barly a year old do you think a mutivitimin is safe? i do plan on bringing my concerns with her doc at her next check up in like a week but i dont wanna look like a moran when i go in there LOL (im 22 and she is my only child its all new to me )
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce (she is too young for peanuts; you can use sunflower seed butter or soynut butter) or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• thank you! she does love her some apples and most friuts! very good advice thanks
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Honestly, it sounds as if you'd benefit from visiting with a nutritionist - especially if this is your first and you plan on having more kids. Please don't take it bad, I'm not trying to sounds like a b****, it just sounds like you'd benefit from it.
    Anonymous

• cook her some REAL food.

not that packaged tasteless crap in a box
    Anonymous