what would you do?

Financially times are hard for lots of people. And daycare is expensive. What would you do to help your family make it? Would you put your child in daycare and work and live off of what's left? Or would you work opposite schedules of hubby or SO so someone is always home with the children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would work opposite schedules. You get more money that way. Its not a perfect world, just make what time you do have with your husband and kids special.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I would work opposite schedule too. Some husbands wouldn't want to watch their kids so often. Mine would complain and my house would be a mess but he would have to deal with it. Fathers need to step up. Some do.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• We have worked opposite schedules since my daughter was 11 months old (I didn't work before that) and it has worked out great! We will be doing this with this baby too until they are both in school. It seems like it would be really hard not seeing eachother but 15 mins a day, and it is, but not as hard as I thought and it makes the time seeing eachother so much better. We never fight when we work opposite schedules. It is SOOO worth it!
    Anonymous

• Cont. oh and my husband didn't mind it at all. I worked nights so all he would do is feed her, get her ready to for bed and play with her for like 2 hours and then she was out. It was easy for him, I made sure I cleaned the house during the day so he didn't have to worry about cleaning after a long day of work and coming home to watch our daughter.
    Anonymous

• Because of my husband's job, it would be impossible to do that. There would always be an overlap. So, we put our son in daycare for a few months. I was making $2000+ extra a month after daycare costs so it worked out well. Now I'm able to work at home so it's been great.

I wouldn't change my decision. We had a great daycare provider. I trusted her. Friends of the family recommended her and knew her really well, so that helped us a lot! He was actually the only child for 2 out the 4 days, and on the other 2 days there were 1 to 2 kids.

You have do to what works for you and your family.
    Anonymous

• well, right now i'm single and daycare for 2 kids is about 1200- so i'm opting to apply for an overnight position part time at McDs. gotta do what you gotta do sometimes
    Anonymous

• OP: We work opposite schedules. But we have it worked out so neither of us has to work nights. We have opposite days off if that makes sense. But we still find time together. On occasion we will use our Paid Time Off to just take a day off and spend some time together. It works and he loves being home and taking care of the baby and the house. The only downfall we see is that we never have mommy daddy time if you know what I mean.
    Anonymous

• Just being honest I would not work nights or weekends. I have in the past and I was just plain miserable. If we couldnt afford to work the same time and use daycare or if I cldnt stay home I wldnt have too many kids.
    Anonymous

• Ok anon 8:26. Well I'm glad you can afford to do what you want right now. Just remember you said that when times get tough for you and you already have these kids (or as you said too many kids)what are you gonna do then? Working weekends isn't that bad in fact 3 fourths of my hours are on weekends.
    Anonymous

• If I had to I would work while my son was in school and he could go to the after school program if needed. I would not expect my husband to work two jobs so I can stay home. He has a wonderful job and is paid very well. We have 5 years worth of expenses in an account we can easily access and we have investments, retirement and we just paid our home off. Something really crazy like a 10 year job loss would have to happen before I would need to work.
    Anonymous