Measured big again...

My last 2 visit's I have measured right at 2cm larger than expected for my gestation. I am 29 weeks now and measure for 31 weeks. I have felt decreased movement the past few weeks as well. So my OB opted to do an ultrasound right then. My baby's weight after measurement was right at 3 lbs. Which goes along with my measurements and not my estimated due date. They are going to look into my ultrasound further along with other things from my exam and talk about it again at my next appointment in 2 weeks.

My question is: What do you think they'll decide. Have you had this happen or know some one who has? What happened?

luvbnmomnwife

Asked by luvbnmomnwife at 8:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This happened to me. They changed my due date several times. I go in tomorrow for another ultrasound to measure his size cause according to THEIR due date im 37 weeks on saturday, but on my last US i was measuring 2 weeks ahead. Theyre worried he is gonna be too big. So they wont do anything just watch and wait. Toward the end of your pregnancy is when it matters. They may induce you early or schedule you a c-sec!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I measured several weeks ahead with my first 3 kids. They also did ultrasounds and estimated the weight as a large baby with all 3. NONE of my kids were that big. The heaviest was 8 lbs. 2 oz. Measurements don't necessarily mean much. I just had my 4th on Sunday and measured small with him. He was the same size as the kids I measured big with. Lol!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I hope that all that testing is not alarming you too much. Are you otherwise healthy? From my reading, I understand that only 2 cm is not a big problem. Some care providers would not even blink at that, and then some want to investigate everything.
    I hope that you don't let it worry you too much!
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I measured big, sometimes by 8 cm to big at times. It really is nothing much to stress about. It is usually one of three things. Big baby, baby laying in a strange spot, or extra fluid. at my 38 week appointment I was measuring around 45cm (I had her the very next day...water broke at work). My baby was big but there are bigger babies. She was 8lbs 11oz.. Do not stress
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have never heard of a doc doing an u/s for just 2 weeks off in measurement. Our local OB offices (we have quite a few) dont do them til you measure more than 3 weeks ahead or behind. I knew my LMP & my conception dates all 3 times but I measured 3 weeks behind consistantly in the first 2 pregnancies and am measuring 2 weeks ahead this time but I never had an u/s any of the 3 times for measurements being off
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have been measuring almost a month ahead for a while now. My OB isn't doing anything other than a couple extra U/S. At 30 weeks the u/s measurements estimated his weight at 4 pounds 9 ounces, today I am 36 weeks and today the u/s estimate said that he is 7 pounds 1 ounce.
    heatkab

Answer by heatkab at 12:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Since the measurements are not exact to begin with a 2 cm difference isn't a big deal, also late ultrasounds are not reliable at all for determining gestational age. I would hope that your doctor doesn't do anything and especially not push up the due date. I "measure" 6 cm too much during both my pregnancies, it meant nothing.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I have to have c-sections. It's already scheduled. My "plumbing" just doesnt work the way it should. My OB could feel exactly where he was and said that he felt big for 29 weeks. His head is already all the way up under my breast bone, butt laying very low on my cervix and his legs were crammed up against his chest. Then the ultrasound confirmed it.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 3:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2009