Does anyone have any advice for pregnant women whose legs cramp up real bad at night?

I sleep with a thick pillow between my knees every night, but I still get horrible cramps in my legs as soon as I lay down for bed. It doesn't ever matter how tired I am. Seriously though, It's like a charlie-horse that is on a timer to cramp my legs up the second I lay down. I've tried stretching out before bed, while I get a shower...what gives?? It's hard enough trying to get comfortable once I lay down, because I'm a little more than 32 weeks pregnant. Does ANYONE have any kind of suggestions or remedies that's worked for them in this kind of situation?? Please help.

GavinsMommy167

Asked by GavinsMommy167 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• OMG! I remember that and it was torture! Not sure I just use to lay still until it passed. Ask your Dr. but I've heard eating bananas might help bc of the pottasium.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OMG girl a HEATING PAD.. does so much help... with me.. feels so good.. even helps when ur back hurts and sides.. hope it helps!!!
    Anonymous

• BANANAS!!! A girls bestfriend for those leg cramps.... lots of them!!
    Anonymous

• I was going to say eat bananas. That is what I did, one a day, and it really did help. Mine also seemed like they were on a timer, but they hit me around 3am. I would eat bananas for awhile, they would go away, I would stop eating bananas and they would come back. Hope you like bananas! :)
    Anonymous

• Eat a kiwi at night; more potassium than bananas (more vitamin C than oranges) and lots of fiber.
    Hylands leg cramp tablets work well, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Stay hydrated, try the banana before bed. I used to have to get up and walk it out to make it stop.Those things hurt!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Bananas. When I started getting leg cramps at night my husband said to eat a banana every day. The cramps stopped almost immediately. It's the potassium you need, so any food high in potassium will do the trick.
    Anonymous

• NO Bananas!! They will constipate you more!

Kiwi or white potatoes are better. Get enough water. Have you ever tried Energen-C vitamin drink mix? Very yummy and it will help you get water and electrolytes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• To quickly get rid of the cramp, flex your foot hard. Don't point the toe, that will make the cramp worse, but when you flex your foot it will ease up immediately.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My midwife told me to take Magnesium supplements (500mg a day) and they really did work. Bananas give me terrrible heartburn, so that trick does not work for me lol! ALSO you could get a pair of Ted's stockings. They are like knee-highs, and they work very well for cramps (and swelling) I wore the stockings for one day because I had a terrible cramp that would NOT go away and it has not come back yet!!! Those are my best suggestions, good luck I feel your pain!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009