Strep Throat

My younger sister went to thedoctor and found out she had strep and my throat has been hurting since last friday, i thought it was just sinus stuff. But can my two month old get it shes not eating real well today and is very crabby and is crying fir no reason..

Mandy211

Asked by Mandy211 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you suspect Strep take her in and get her tested. It is just a quick swab and they should have the results in minutes. INSISIT that they test her. My son got strep when he was 8 months old. I went to 3 pediatricans who wouldn't test him for strep. They swore that it was impossible for a baby that young to get strep due to their young immune system. I had strep, DH had strep, and my older son had strep. The Dr's still REFUSED to test him!!! It was so frustrating!! My baby just got worse and worse in the meantime. I took him to an urgent care clinic one night and had a Dr there test him. This Dr was not a pediatrican and didn't know that it was uncommon for babies to get strep. The test came back positive a few mins later. After 24 hours of antibiotics my son was happy and back to normal.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 8:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Not unless the baby ate or drank after her (not likely) or the sister kissed the baby on the mouth (that wouldn't have been smart if she did, sick or not) or if sis didn 't wash her hands and handled the nipple or pacifier.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• doc will probably tell u no but my son got strep at 3mo
    Anonymous

• Strep isn't particularly easy to catch, but it is possible. However strep throat does generally involve a fever. You can always take her to the doctor to be sure, and let them know that she has been exposed to strep throat.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You should go to the doc yourself, if you have strep, take your child to her doc.
    Anonymous