What's wrong with Friendly Eye Contact?

I'm from the south and a very friendly person. We just moved out west to CO near Denver. When I see people in passing I look at them and smile. I notice a lot of men when I pick my daughter up from daycare look away when I do this. I'm just being friendly not looking for a date. I have a gorgeous husband at home. lol I'm black and my Hubby is white and our daughter has very light skin and Long silky curly hair. I often wonder if race has anything to do with it. What do you think?

FYI! All the negative people save it I don't care that you are unhappy in life and come on here to be negative to make your sad existence seem less sad. :0)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I doubt it has anything to do with race. I live in Denver, it's pretty diverse. In fact, I sometimes feel like the only white person in my area (which I think is awesome-- much better than where I grew up). Out here people are friendly, but not overly so. I tend to keep my distance and mind my own business. I've noticed a lot of other people do the same. I think direct eye contact makes people feel uncomfortable, unless they know you.

Anonymous

• it could just be they are very whooped and if they even so much as kindley looked at another women, they would be in alot of trouble. sounds weird though but it could just be the north.
    got2bfroggy

Answer by got2bfroggy at 8:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OP here-Thanks Anon!! That helps alot..
    Anonymous

• It's not about race. I think there are just too many crazy people out there, it's not worth looking someone in the eye to not know if they're a nut job or not. Safer to just skip it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• "OP here-Thanks Anon!! That helps alot.."

No problem! I just think some people get weirded out by eye contact. My husband grew up in a small town and he used to wave at everybody as we drove down the street. I know it creeped people out. : ) Now today, I wasn't looking at anyone when I was out because I had my head down in my coat, trying not to let the snot in my nose freeze up! : )
    Anonymous

•  I think Friendly Eye Contact went out the window along with picking up the phone to say Hello, how are you? OR, writing a nice letter to someone asking the same thing. It's ALL COMPUTER'S. It's crazy. I purposely look people in the eye and ask "How are you doing today"?And if they answer at all, it's OK.  Hardly EVER, OK and how are YOU? I find it very sad that to get any kind of  caring for one another, there must be a catastrophe like 911 or Katrina. The compassion is obviously there but people are too afraid to show it on a regular basis. Make it a point tomorrow to look someone in the eye and ask them HOW ARE YOU>

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

•   SAFER JUST TO SKIP IT??? Can you tell a "nut job" by looking in their eyes? No, I doubt it. And to put women down by saying that their insecure is nothing but a cop out. Its also ridicules. WOMEN can ask How ya doing also. It has nothing to do with flirting. If I ask someone how they are, AND I mean it, then I'm not gonna only ask HOT guys. That line was degrading to Women.

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• They might think you are trying to get attention from them and they don't want to get in trouble.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don't think that it is a race thing, but just the way people are in that area of the country. We moved from FL to CO several years ago and I thought the same thing as you. No one made an effort to be friendly at all. I can't explain it because my in-laws all live there and they are friendly enough.
    Anonymous

• Ok blueyes get over yourself really and stop acting like a martyr. Noone is putting women down. There are infact millions of insecure woman in the world. Their own fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2009