does little kids get there tonsils taking out

My daughter is 3 yrs old and they want to take her tonsils out. Im a little scared. She is a little baby still. Does anyone have a little one that had this done.

samantha06

Asked by samantha06 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Health

• They still do that?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes, lots of little ones have it done. My best friend's son had his out when he was 3. Mine were taken out when I was 4. If your doctor says they need to come out, then they need to come out. The surgery is no biggy when you're younger, but if you wait until they're preteen or older, the recovery is a lot rougher.

I was way healthier after I had my tonsills removed. Even though I was only 4, I still remember how sick I used to get before the surgery. It was terrible. I remember them putting me to sleep for the surgery with one of those masks. I remember getting ice cream and jello when I woke up and playing with my Barbie dolls.

If my kids ever had trouble with their tonsills, I'd be pushing to get them removed just based off of how much better I felt once mine were gone.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My oldest had hers out before she was 3 - she had chronic tonsillitis. My 3rd child had hers taken out this past summer - for sleep apnea. If there's an underlying health issue, then yes. Any smart doctor anymore won't say to take them out just for s***s and giggles - if they do, then there's a problem. If there's a good reason, then yes, do it.
    Anonymous

• My son had his remvoed at 14 for chronic infections, my g-daughter had hers out at 2 1/2 for sleep apnea. It is much, much, much easier when they are little. They heal quicker, less pain. It cured both the infections in my son and the sleep apnea in my g-daughter. We also found as a result of GD's being out her tonsils were so large they occluded proper movement of her tongue. Her speech went throught the roof about 3 months after surgery.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009