H1N1 Vaccine??

My Ob is pressuring me to get a h1n1 vaccine but im very skeptical since it hasnt been around long..i just imagine some cheap lawyer commercial years from now saying pregnant women who had it could have a case! She says i could be hospitilized or even die if I dont get it...i really dont want to harm my baby and would love some opinions on what to do..time is running out since supplies are running low...help!

k8sully

Asked by k8sully at 9:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Health

• We did not get it, however, we do not vaccinate at all.

I will tell you this though, my sons' pediatrician is refusing to administer the H1N1 vaccine at all! She has 6 kids of her own and is pro-vax. She sent home a letter stating that this vaccines is not something she is comfortable giving to her children or her patients and she gave a list of other doctors if we wanted to get it, which of course we weren't. But if we had been thinking of it, her letter would have been more than enough to change our minds!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The flu shot is new every year too. They re just guessing what strain it is. Did you talk to your OB enough about it? Ya know, here on Cm there was a mom who had H1N1 while pregnant. Ended up in the hospital and they put her in a coma, while in a coma they deleivered her baby. They both are thankfully alive. Here where I live, a few pregnant woman died from H1N1.

Anonymous

• I am not pregnant, but I am NOT getting the vac for myself or my boys. I am with you, it hasn't been out long enough for me and I would rather NOT take the chance. If you are completely against it, say so. Just tell her no.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Just to show you from the first poster how every pedi is different. My pedi has 5 kids and they got the H1N1 vax. My pedi doesn't push they vax at all, which is why I like her. She doesn't say you have to or not.

Anonymous

• My family did not get the shot. It has mercury in it like the other flu shot. I just feel like it is too new and hasn't ben tested enough. Tell your ob that your husband doesn't agree with it. That shld shut him up. lol
    Anonymous

• I got the H1N1 vaccine a month ago when I was 8 months pregnant. My 3 year old and 19 month old got it too. We had no side effects at all. The H1N1 strain is new, but the vaccine is made the same way as the seasonal flu shot only they plugged the H1N1 virus in it instead of the seasonal flu. Australia's flu season hit earlier than the US flu season. Pregnant women in Australia were getting the vaccine back in August. If there were going to be any problems with it we would have heard something by now. This virus can be deadly in pregnant women and cause preterm labor. In my opinion, the risks of the virus for out weigh the risks of the vaccine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• There have been many reports about miscarriages and labor induction. All of this is anecdotal right now. Since our genius govt has given the vax manufacturer legal immunity, no one will investigate or file suit if in fact the vax is causing this.

If you have doubts, then don't do it. Tell your doctor firmly that you have done research (which you should do tons) and you have made a decision. or tell her it's your mother's intuition. Let her know where you stand and request that she respect your choice. I hate bully doctors.

I'm pregnant and not getting it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I had it done. It is not a live virus so riks are minimal, but moms in the third trimester who get the H1N1 flu are at high risk for complications. You getting the shot can also protect your baby form the flu.
    ashkyns

Answer by ashkyns at 9:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'm about 15 wks prego. and got the shot about a month ago, so did my girls, 2 and 3. We've had no side effects. My ob strongly recommended everyone in our fam get it along with the seasonal. He doesn't want someone bringing it home to the baby, which could be VERY bad.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 10:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'm pretty much going to say ditto to thriving mom except for it was just pregnant me, and my two-year-old that got it.

We always get seasonal flue shots; so I already knew our bodies would handle it just fine.

....and the mercury thing - not all of them have it, and none have more than a can of tuna - so skip on the tuna sandwich that week and your even.
    Anonymous