PitBulls?

I have two dogs. An American Bulldog and a Pitbull. I adopted the Pitbull from a rescue when she was 8 weeks old. She is such a sweet and loyal dog and she is very sweet with my daughter. Although I am teaching my daughter to "do nice" to the doggies. No ear or tail pulling. I would never leave them alone with my daughter bc you just never know w any dog. Does anyone else have a nice story to tell about a Pitbull? I feel so bad about the bad rep that they have. After all they are only bad when they are forced to be that way ;(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pets

• My beagle/Basset PJ, My sister's Pit Bull/Beagle Bailee, My Doberman Lucius
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My sister had a Pitbull for years. She was a sweet dog, she even allowed her kids to pull on her ears. I remember one time, My sister was in a abusive relationship he was going on one of his rants and the pit stood in the door way to the kids room and would not move. She refused to allow him to enter the room. She growled every time he got close. We had to put her down a few years ago because of old age. I love the breed. I worked at an animal shelter for a few years and got the chance to meet so many wonderful Pitbulls in that time.
    T.W.

Answer by T.W. at 9:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I've met tons of nice Pit's and Pit mixes. My sister has a Pit beagle mix and she's SOOO cute and sweat! I'll add a pic of her with my Doberman and my Beagle/Basset mix! While I was in college I worked as a dog bather and Pits were the BEST dogs to bath! Most dogs would shake and whine during the bath and almost all dogs are afraid of the drier, but Most of the Pits I got were SO easy! The were so confidant, they never tried to jump out of the tub, didn't tremble in the tub, didn't whine, didn't try to sit down constantly, didn't shy away, didn't try to bite or growl (lots of dogs would do this out of fear, either bite at me or at the drier hose), they were always model citizens! I also met a lot of great Pits as a dog trainer. I met one that was a therapy dog. I also know another dog trainer that had breast cancer and trainer her Pit in cancer cell detection, now that was awesome!

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Guess the pics got cut off a little on the right side :(
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i have two, one sleep with me and the other with my daugher, i have never had any issues with them. in fact the one that sleeps with my daughter has stoped someone that was trying to push my window unit in and get in my house, she has also stoped someone trying to break in the door. she has never bit anyone but she sure makes you think she will. she has been the best dog i have ever had. the one that sleep with me we are having to have put down to old age and i will be getting another one shortly after that. i hate pit bull rep, it is stupid! and im proud to say i have two and would not trade them for anything!
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 9:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• One of my friends has had two very nice pits- both of them very sweet dogs. I think the main issue with pitbulls is not the dogs themselves but the owners. Far too many pits are owned by wannabe badasses who just want to look like they have a tough dog and don't bother training/socializing them and encourage them to be aggressive. My BIL is one of these jackasses- he got a pitbull as a teenager. Didn't obediance train it or socialize around many people or animals. Moved away- gave the dog to an equally moronic friend. Came back, picked up the dog again. Moved again, left the dog with his parents for years. His mom did not want a dog, didn't want it in the house and mainly left it in the yard or garage. She couldn't walk it because it would chase other dogs and she is not strong enough to hold it back. Picked up the dog again, moved it to a tiny apartment. Then sent it back to the parents.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Now they have the dog again and it's back to sitting in the yard alone. I do not trust the dog with my kids. It is not trained and it is full of pent up energy and is not socialized well. Oh- and he wouldn't fix the dog because he didn't want the dog to 'lose his manhood.' It makes me sad to see the dog alone in the backyard come hell or high water, the only reason I have not called animal control on my ILs is because there is a pitbull breed ban in our city (he was purchased before this came into effect) and an unneutered pitbull is against the law. Because he can't be adopted out he will just be destroyed and this keeps me from turning them in for neglect. We've had many fights about how they treat the dog because it's so negligent. I'm mad just typing it. He could have been a nice pet if he was not owned by irresponsible idiots. Not a bad dog- a bunch of bad owners.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I had a pitbull as a teenager. she was the sweetest most loyal dog i've ever owned. And smart too! I miss her soooo much. my mom put her down because i moved out and couldn't take her with me and she didn't want her any more and she couldn't find anyone who would adopt a middle aged . ...she put her down without telling me and i was very mad when i found out.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My Boo! She was extremely mellow and sweet. LOVED kids and cats. Sadly she died of cancer in June. I slept with her almost everyday. We ran everyday....and played...I miss her
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• everyone I know that have pits have loyal, friendly dogs that are well behaved. I grew up with rotties and in my opinion another wonderful breed. But anyways these wer not my dogs but my neighbor had two and would come over every morning when I was out with my dog and play with him. He was a westie.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2009