How much is too much when it comes to working out?

Currently, my hubby and I are TTC. I'm also slightly overweight, and want to get into shape before we are successful at conceiving. I've read that exercise before and during pregnancy is great, but that it shouldn't be too strenuous or anything. So how much is too much? Would running be a good or bad idea? I know crunches are probably a bad idea...Anyone have any answers? Thanks!

pinstripefedora

Asked by pinstripefedora at 9:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• If you're not pregnant yet then you should be able to push yourself as hard as you want. Once you find out you are pregnant then you want to kind of level off on the exercise, meaning you can continue at your current level, if you're lifting weight you'll want to stop increasing the amount you lift and just maintain the level you're at for as long as it's comfortable for you.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Running would be fine, might have to cut back a little after you get pregnant, but definitely fine for now. Crunches are also fine until the 2nd or 3rd trimester as long as your ab muscles don't separate (diastasis recti or something like that), if that happens they you won't be able to do crunches. In my opinion they're fairly useless though until you get you body fat way down, so do some to strengthen your core but you don't need to go crazy with them.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009