on 2 types of birthcontrol

is it bad to be on two types of bc? i have the mirena but lately its been givin me a heavy period out of nowhere,ive been on it for about 5 months now.and because of the bleeding i been taken the pill because i had some left...is this bad?

misty91

Asked by misty91 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is probably no wise to take 2 differrent kinds at the same time. You should really be talking to your dr if you arent happy with one. You should ust get off the one you dont like and try a new pne
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You are essentially doubling up on some hormones, because the Mirena does contain hormones. I would talk to your doc to make sure it's safe.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'm assuming your Dr already knows. Merina and the estrogen pill are completely different. If your Dr says it's fine than I'm sure it is. If you wait it out the Merina itself will slow your periods down or stop them completely. Give it a few months.
    Anonymous

• Its a bad idea. If the Mirena is not working for you then take it out and take bc pills. Ask your dr what is best. Usually after about a year your periods will disapear on IUDS. I had a few strong ones at first. It is just your body getting used to a foreign object.
    Anonymous

• You can get way too much estrogen! I got estrogen poisoning from BC once. Nasty lumps on my head. I thought I was growing a horn!!

Did your doc do this to you?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Merina doesn't have any estrogen ecodani
    prdill08

Answer by prdill08 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I guess the HUGE detail you left out is if your Dr knows that you're taking two forms of bc. It's hard to answer a question without all of the information. I'm prone to assume the person is smart enough to go to the Dr and get a bc prescription from them.
    Does your Dr know you are on both?
    Anonymous