How hard is it to turn off a light?

Or, god forbid, the TV, when you leave a room? I walk into our apartment from upstairs (it is connected to a house) and the kitchen light, living room light, bedroom light, and TV are all on, even though DH has been upstairs for 30 mins. I've told him a billion times to STOP THAT, considering we don't pay the electric bill (the other household does), but he just won't quit it! Argh! Any clever ideas on how to get him to quit leaving stuff on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you do not pay the Electric bill? why do you care?

Change all the bulbs out to fluorescent bulbs.  Move to a place where you do pay the Elictric bill and then he will turn everything off . he will see the first Electric bill and freak out.

Answer by louise2 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

•  Well hopefully she cares because of the ENERGY CRISIS that we're in. I have no answer for you b/c children and men are so much alike, the more you tell them to do something....the less they do it. All I can think of is to say fuck it and leave ALL the lights on. Like when he's trying to sleep etc. But then again, I'm Divorced three times

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I hate to say it but when my husband acts like a child, I treat him like a child. I'll deprive him of something he wants till he does what I want.
    Anonymous

• I would just turn it off myself.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don't know... I still can't figure out why no one in my house knows how to flush a toilet, let alone turn off a light or two! Do you have any idea how often I've yelled, "Who pooped and didn't flush!?" That question is second only to, "Why does the house have to be lit up like a Christmas tree all night long?"

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Remove all lightbulbs and make sure you always have a flashlight on you,including night time trips to bathroom. Worked like a charm w/ my hubby and daughter.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 10:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i have to say im guilty of leaving stuff on, my husband always reminds me that i should not be extravagant with lights or water. im so bad at it. but im trying to be more mindful.

i try to remind him to close doors and drawers....so far.. no luck but he feels the same way with me about lights and water.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• ugg...i wish i knew!! my in-laws were in town this past weekend & that must be were he learned it from! i mean why is every light in the house on when we're all in the same room?!

my DH also cant close a cabinet door to save his life. im gonna have to try some of the tricks here to get him to stop!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It drives me crazy when my family leaves lights & tv on when they leave the room or house, too.
    I am constantly going around to turn them off.
    My daughters (adult and 2 older teens) also leave the front door unlocked when they leave.....grrrrr!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2009