Avoiding a repeat C-Section

With my first birth in 2001 I had to have an emergency C-Section. I have had 3 successful VBAC's since then. I am now 40 weeks with my 5th child. I went to the Dr today and I have not progressed anymore in the last 2 weeks. I am 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. I am having contractions but they are not doing anything. My Dr told me today that if the baby is not born by next wed he is going to schedule a c section. They won't induce due to the risk of uterine rupture. I really don't want a c section as my last experience was horrible and I had severe complications. If anyone can offer any advice on how to avoid it and get him out I would be very happy. Just to let everyone know, walking is not an option for me due to an injury 18 months ago.

ashkyns

Asked by ashkyns at 9:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sex helps induce labor seriously.
    Anonymous

• My mom's OB taught her this "scooting" technique.

Sit on carpet cross legged/ indian style. Cross your arms over your chest. Now using your core muscles, scoot across the floor. You want to scoot 10-12 ft without stopping so do it in your living room. Scoot across the other way. Scoot for about 10 minutes. If you don't go into labor within an hour, scoot for 10 more minutes.

My insanely huge brother popped out within 5 hours. My mom has helped her friends with this. Best health to you and your baby!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Vaginal exams frustrate the heck outta me. !
    You don't *need* to dilate until you are IN labor. Avoiding the optional vaginal exams is important, imo.
    Hiring a surgeon to help with a normal birth does create an uphill battle as well. But if you had an injury then you might be "high risk," I don't know.

Whatever you want, you can always ask for more information, facts, the references, studies, links, etc. to see that his recommendation (opinion) is something you agree to. You want to make an informed decision.
    Maybe you will find that the facts do add up in favor of a cesarean. (But I read about this subject a lot and have only found that impatience adds to the risks and/or convenience adds to the risks.)
    I encourage you to get more than his opinion here, get the facts so you can make an informed choice.
    Good luck!! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Just don't go to the induction. Say No, it's your and your babys right to do so.
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 4:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Just say no, it is your body and you can not be forced into an unnecessary induction. Being dilated or not prior to labor is not relavant, you can go from 0 to 10cm in a couple of hours but you can also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many many weeks before labor. Stories like yours are the reason why i am so against internal checks, doctors use irrelevant information to try and pressure women into unnecessary inductions and c-sections.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2009