Stranger Anxiety, Cont.

My 2 year old developed stranger anxiety at almost 1 year old. When we're in Wal-Mart she'll waive and talk to people passing by, but if they stop and talk to her she screams. She's horrified of doctors, nurses, even some family members. I'm looking for a way she might can overcome this. When we have family get togethers she has to be in my lap in order for it to be peaceful because the family that don't come down often, she screams at them. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

psychn

Asked by psychn at 9:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does anyone babysit her? Does she see her relatives often? My son has a bit of stranger anxiety. It takes him a long time to warm up to strangers. Same goes for relatives/friends he does not see regularly. Maybe you can explain to your family that your daughter needs her space to feel more comfortable. They can talk to her, but not touch her/pick her up until she is comfortable. Don't try to force her to socialize. Talk to relatives/etc and smile a lot, introduce them to her, and reassure her that it is okay. Keep reassuring her and stay close. Provide comfort toys/blankets/etc. Encourage her to sit on the floor or next to you and read books/play with toys. She should eventually come out of this phase. Some kids are naturally shy. I would make sure she sees some of her relatives reguarly (once a week?) so she can develop some sort of trust. If you can, take her to library for storytime and other activities. Good luck.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2009