What do you think about putting a refrigerator in their bedroom?

My boys have been asking for a small fridge for their bedroom. They are 3 and 5, and hubby and I are thinking about getting them one for their birthdays next month. We would keep it stocked up with juice boxes, bottled water and probably fresh fruit. What do you think? Would you ever put a small fridge in your kids bedroom?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Continued.. As long as your children can take responsibility by throwing away their juice boxes and any left over snacks, then I would give it a try. Maybe only have enough juice boxed for each child to have 1 each day for a week. If they choose to drink all of the juice boxes in one day then they will have to wait another week to get any more. This will teach them self discipline. Also, with food and juice boxes, you may want to have them empty their trash cans every day or at least every other day into the main trashcan. This way you can avoid ants and other bugs. Don't hesitate to take the privilege of having a refrigerator away if they are abusing their privilege or not holding up to their end of the bargain. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No way, imo very bad idea.
    Anonymous

• Never. We alllow no food outside the kitchen, breakfast area and dining room.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• What's the point? I think they are young for this.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not.
    texasmommy69

Answer by texasmommy69 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• ummm NO.
    Anonymous

• I think it is a stupid idea.
    Anonymous

• I think if you're okay with them eating in their room, and you're okay with them grabbing what's in the fridge at any time of the day or night - then it's okay.

Anonymous

• You'll are saying no, no stupid idea, but none of you are giving reasons as to why? Why do you think it's a stupid idea?

So here's why I'm thinking about doing it. My kids are not allowed in the kitchen, especially on their own. My 3 year old has already cut his thumb open and needed 4 stitches earlier this year because he was trying to fix himself breakfast. We keep the whole kitchen locked, so they can't get in at all. If I can keep drinks and snacks and things in their room, (only food and drinks they can have unsupervised) than why not? What is so horrible about it? Next month they will be 4 and 6, which is plenty old enough to have a juice box or yogurt stick on their own.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• heck no...do you want your kids to be fat
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009