Mother-in-law Wants to spend the night Christmas Eve

Am I wrong to not want my mother-in-law to spend the night with us on Christmas Eve? I just like for it to be my husband, myself, and my children and then later in the morning have the GrandParents come for Christmas breakfast and gift exchange. It really bothers me that she wants to stay with us. I wouldn't want my parents to stay either. Thoughts please....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• It is your Christmas, you spent it as you please. Your MIL had a chance to raise her children and dictate her celebrations with her family. This is your family, your family traditions and your home, so do what you want to do.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My in-laws spent a lot of Christmas Eves with us when our children were little. They enjoyed seeing the children open their presents on Christmas morning. I don't see the harm in it. It's just sharing a little joy with the older generation.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I would love it if my parents could spend the night. However, they're in FL and I'm in NY. I would also love it if my MIL came to spend the night, however, she passed away 5 years ago!

I think it's great that she wants to! To see the kids faces light up to see that Santa came, how awesome is that!! I hope that when I'm a grandma my son wants me to spend the night to my grandkids faces light up! I haven't even seen my child's face light up yet -- he's only 15 months -- but I remember how special it was and to be able to share that with anyone in my family would be great!!

That's just my opinion.

If you don't want her to stay, then ask your husband to talk to her.
    Anonymous

• Honestly it isn't that big of a deal. The more the marrier. Where is the Christmas spirit. :) I mean I look at it this way, I want my in-laws and my parents to spend as much time as they can with me and my kids. Because you might just regret it when they are gone or if something happens to them. I'm just saying.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I understand how you feel! Does she live out of town? Why does she want to sleep over? If there's no valid reason, I'd just tell her nicely you would rather it be just you and your family as you never get to spend much quality time together.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• ************ I do not get a long with her very well. I tolerate her for my husband and childrens sake. She is the kind of person that says what she thinks without taking others feeling into consideration. I have a older daughter from a previous marriage that for some reason she likes to call out everything she does wrong. Like we are going to give her brownie points for it. Oh and she only lives 10 min. away.*********
    Anonymous

• awww....she just wants in on the excitement
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Like I said, I wouldn't allow her to ruin my Christmas. If she is so opinionated about what your child does, I would not want her anywhere near me or my family. Say thank you but we need to spent some family time alone. you are more than welcome to come over the next morning. Remember thi sis your family not hers. Do what you want.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If it is just her, I wouldn't have a problem with it. What is wrong with her wanting to share Christmas morning with her FAMILY? I would welcome grandparents or other relatives for Christmas at anytime. Christmas is for FAMILY.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009