Does anyone volunteer with or know of national literacy programs? America has a real problem!

How did you find these programs? Of course I'll google but I wondered if any of you had personal experience. I just read the most shocking statistics on literacy and I think this is great work for me.

http://www.readfaster.com/education_stats.asp

For instance, "More than three out of four of those on welfare, 85% of unwed mothers and 68% of those arrested are illiterate. About three in five of America's prison inmates are illiterate."

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 9:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You can also contact your library. There wasn't a literacy program in my community when I lived way out in the country. I started a reading group for tween girls. The library gave me space and helped me advertise it.

Good for you! PM me if you need tips for your group.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• For grown ups or children?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Probably children because I may need to bring my child along. But overall it doesnt' matter.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• We have to STOP the ghetto cycle! mothers need to READ to their children!!!
    Anonymous

• http://www.literacydirectory.org/

Type in your zip code and it should pull up some organizations near you where you might be able to volunteer.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Anon...mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, neighbors....we just have to take them under our wing. If the mother and father can't read and WE don't read to them that is keeping the cycle going too.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Find one near you:  America's Literacy Directory

Anonymous

• Awesome thanks for the links and advice!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Yes. I did last year... Didn't do it this year because I have other volunteer obligations. It's a great program. You can also goto the local school board office or local library(to help adults learn to read) and they can help you get started.. Good Luck!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If we make it less of a stigma, more ppl would ask for help, maybe. Stopped bashing them and all that. I would love this. I do have a 3 yr old, though.
    sweetie00

Answer by sweetie00 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009