My 5 week old has been having really fussy times during the day. The past few days, if she is awake, she is fussy and crying. Suggestions?

I'm in need of tips that can help calm her. I feel as if I've tried it all! :(

MKD1030

Asked by MKD1030 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow could be a lot of diff things. Gas, constipation, belly ache, hunger. My sister just had a baby and she gave my neice probiotics. It helped with her gas and constipation. The first 3 months are tough with newborns. It gets easier. Good luck!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Is she pulling her legs towards her stomach? Grunting? Passing gas often, or difficult to burp? Are you breastfeeding or formula-feeding?

If she is showing sign of gas discomfort and you are formula-feeding, try a different bottle. I was using Avent and switched to playtex-drop ins. Instant relief. Also had to switch to soy milk.
    If Breastfeeding, look at your diet. Some food cause gas and tummyache.

Make sure you burp her in the middle of a feeding -and- after feeding. Make sure her clothes are not too tight, rough, or the tags are not irriating her. Try soothing music and swaying movement. My son was soothed by running tap water while rocking him. Swaddling might help if you haven't already tried that. Some babies have a "crying period" throughout the day. I would keep a journal of when the crying starts and stops, and what helped that time.

Warm bath might help. Pedaling her legs might help gas.

It'll pass!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Four weeks is generallt when colic kicks in. Let her nurse often; it is for comfort, as well as nutrition. We tried everything for our colicky baby; all that really helped was time.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• omg my baby did the same thing i tried everything i switched her bottles to the playtex drop ins for gas, they work amazing and i got her gripe water, shes a completely different baby shes happy and laughs, you can try it, the gripe water you can use for hiccups too, its worth a shot and keep ur head up mama i almost went insane until i found this.
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Having the same issue now. Just went to a gastro doctor today and found out my little boy is allergic to milk (11 weeks). He told me to change formulas to Similac Alimentum and it should help. People keep telling me it gets better at 3 months, we're counting the days :)
    wanttoadopt0707

Answer by wanttoadopt0707 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2009