If my baby

If my baby lacked oxygen when she was born does that mean that she will have a disibilty when she gets bigger? Like cerebral palsey? I'm so concerned and keep thinking the worse....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lack of oxygen at birth can cause cerebral plasy and there may be no way of telling until the baby starts showing signs with development.

My sister was brain dead for 4 mins after birth. Her cerebral plasy was caused by a doctor using forceps on her when my mom only dialated to almost 7 cm. My sister was showing signs of distress and rather than doing an emergency c-section, he used the forceps.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It really depends on how long she was oxygen deprieved. Is she meeting developmental milestones? What are her pediatricians thoughts. We all want perfect healthy babies but sometimes that doesn't happen you just have to love them for who they are and do the very best for them no matter what.

marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 10:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I didnt mean to leave such an upsetting response. How old is your baby? How long was your baby without oxygen? Lack of oxygen does not always mean a disablity.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If my baby

my baby is 2 months
    Anonymous

• You should really discuss questions like this with your pediatrician. He/she would know because he/she sees your child. Just love your child and try not to worry until you have reason to. I know that doesn't really help. Huge hugs!
    Anonymous

• I don't think there's anything to gain by worrying about something that MIGHT happen that you have no control of later on down the road. Yes, there are complications that may arise because of this, but chances are she will be be fine. My sister suffered a little brain damage, she's "book" slow, but otherwise you really wouldn't know except she's a little immature and easily forgets things. She's one of the greatest people I know and while I don't wish a disability on anyone, it is part of who she is and without it she would be a different person (who I'm sure I'd love as well!!), but I love the person we got so much!! So just enjoy your baby, they grow up so fast!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It all depends on how long she was without oxygen. There's no way for us to say for sure. Is she showing signs of disability? Only the doctor can tell you what to expect and what to watch for. I wouldn't worry. Learn what to watch out for so you can make sure she gets the right intervention if she shows signs of disability. Enjoy your perfect little baby girl. This stage goes by so quick... there's no point in wasting it by worrying and stressing so much.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2009