Any laws or requirements to get my tubes tied?

Im pregnant with my 3rd child and am considering getting my tubes tied for my health and sake... i heard that after this child im allowed but is this true??? Are there overall requirements for elegibility???

AmandaPina703

Asked by AmandaPina703 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It really depends on which doctor you will use. The first doctor I asked refused me due to my age and said I MUST have my husband's permission. I love my husband and I had his permission, but I didn't like that she required it.

The next doctor I asked said, "Sure, no problem."
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don't know if it's different state to state or just doctor to doctor. My husband had a vasectomy right after he turned 26, the day after our second child was born. He didn't have any problems getting his doctor to do it, although I did have to (gladly) sign off agreeing to it, since I'm his wife.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Not sure, I had mine tied when I was 24 after I had my 3rd baby. I told Dr that I wanted it done and he did it, no questions on his part about my age or what DH thought.
    Anonymous

• Some states require a spousal signature. Infertility is grounds for divorce in some places, thus the spousal signature.

All surgery is dependent on your doctor and your health. No one can bar you from sterilization just as no one can bar you from having children. A woman has the right to chose the number of children she has.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I just told them i wanted it done. When I asked if they needed to speak to my husband the doctor laughed and said not unless they would be operating on him. Maybe it's different in different states though.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Some doctors will give women a hard time just because its hard to reverse and if you did and try to concieve your chances of concieving again is low. NOT IMPOSSIBLE some women are ridclously fertily and can bounce right back. Some doctor will just delay answering the question to give the women time to think but I'm pretty sure they can't deny you. My one girlfriend was 22 when she gave birth to her third baby 2 boys and one girl her doctor didn't give her a hard time. But one of my others was 24 had two boys and doctor did it but fought her up until the day!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• In my state I have heard that you have to be 21 and either be married or have 2 kids. if your not 21 and one of those then no.
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I know here in Michigan u have to be 25 or have 3 kids
    NycoleBenjamin

Answer by NycoleBenjamin at 9:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• In my state (ohio), you have to be at least 21 yrs old with at least 3 kids.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• my the state that i live in u have the sign ur tube paper in 30 days so they can approve it . so i waited to make my decison to get my tubes tie to weeks before i delivery and they couldnt tie my tubes
    lilliebean

Answer by lilliebean at 7:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2009