Breaking a lease - on cash assistance - court? Help!

After a couple of months of going through hell (my sister stealing things from me, my mom verbally abusing me - telling me to find a new place to live, etc), a low income apartment complex called me & offered me the place. I accepted. I'm on cash assistance. I'm pregnant and due in January. I have it set up w/Jfs to stay on it for a year to bond w/baby and breastfeed. IF I am taken to court for breaking the lease here at this house (mom is having to move cuz she can't afford the rent by herself & won't invite anyone else to move in), can they MAKE me go back to work before I'm off of cash assistance so that I can have my wages garnished? I'm single, mother of 2 and the baby makes 3, just so worried!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• i reeeealllly doubt it....around here they usually just keep your deposit....i would think that if you explain your situation they would take that into consideration if they're decent people at all
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OP here: I'm in Ohio too, if that helps anything...
    Anonymous

• The first thing that I would do is speak to the landlord and let them know that you are moving out. If they can find someone new to move in quickly enough, or if you know someone who can move in, they may just let you out of your lease all together. It can't hurt to talk to them, it will definitely not work to your benefit if you just move out and never explain yourself because they will definitely come after you then.
    Anonymous

• Try contacting Fair Housing for information. Check their website, give them a call. They may be able to assist or advise you.
    Anonymous

• OP: I tried to call him last week and I guess he had just talked to my mom about the situation and he refused to talk to me about it. Told me just to ask her. I'm on the lease though so I don't see why he wouldn't talk to me. I didn't get much outa Mom. He does know I'm moving out though and that I'm going into low income housing.
    Anonymous

• I dont think anyone can FORCE you to go to work, the only thing they do around here is keep the security deposit
    wells75904

Answer by wells75904 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OP: He can take me to court for breaking the lease since it's a 1 year lease and have me pay the amount I owe until he rents it out again. I know that much. He can't touch my mom because she's on SSI, I'm just worried about ME!
    Anonymous

• not true doesnt matter where you get your money he can file for your part from you BUT read your contract, like mine says if you break your less early you have to pay 50% of the remending rent for your lease. so I would read your contract and then I would write a letter giving him your notice, and then see what happens if its not alot of money he might not file for it that or write a letter asking him to take you off the lease or give him a reason why your leaving there are many choices here
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 11:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OP: miss nevin - they can't touch my mom's money. I looked it up on the government website. SSI cannot be garnished except for like 5 very specific reasons, and this is not one of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Contact your local Renter's Rights office.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2009