the breastfeeding police

Today I had another check for the baby, (Im 30 weeks and a day) btw , and for some reason everytime I go one of the nurses will ask me " are you going to breastfeed ? " , and I say no . And as usual she goes on and on about the benifites of me doing so . The question is if I don't want to why do the breastfeeding police feel that they should ask you and tell you what a bad decision your making for not doing it. Some people make it seem like im messing up already and the kids not here yet.

waitin4u

Asked by waitin4u at 10:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well look out asking this question around here cause you are going to have a mound of answers telling you that if you dont breastfeed you are a selfish, bad mom already!
    Anonymous

• well it depends on why you're not breastfeeding. If you're not doing it just because you don't want to then that's kind of messed and up and cheating your child if you don't even try. But if you have a medical condition or you can't for some other reason then you shouldn't feel guilty.
    Anonymous

• this is the wrong question to ask on this website...lol. Ya know I don't walk up to random women and ask them how they plan on useing parts of there body so just because your prego doesn't mean they can either. Tell them to get over it. My daughter HATED breastfeeding it made both of us MISERABLE.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Doctors do that you know. If you smoke they tell you you should quit and why. If you are overweight they tell you you need to lose weight, and why. So they are telling you that you should breastfeed, and why. Don't get pissy because someone actually did their job.
    Anonymous

• I will breast feed as I have with my 4 other children, but I was insulted that they asked me and then sent me home with formula. Talk about trying to mess a woman up. Beginners can really be thrown by that. Supplementing with formula can completely mess up a woman's milk supply.
    I know it's annoying (although my OB didn't seem to care either way) you can't get around the whole 'Breast is Best' bit because it's true. I'm not judging you (really). It's none of my business. I think you can bond just as well with bottle feeding as you can with breast feeding. Love is love and as long as a baby is thriving to each their own.
    Congrats on your baby!
    Anonymous

• I'm a breastfeeding mom and I don't think you're a bad mom if you don't. It's your body, it's your child. You're lucky they even care. Most Drs make money off of formula and send home tons of samples.
    Anonymous

• next time someone asks that, ask them some random personal question like how often they have sex with their SO....after all, research has proven that more sex makes for a happier marriage and better health for both partners....and it would be awfully selfish to deny your SO the best you could give him
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You shouldn't feel guilty for anything since it is YOUR decision and YOUR baby and YOUR body. If you choose to breastfeed that's great; but if you don't your not a bad mother. Everyone likes to criticize other people's parenting skills. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You are going to be a mommy (congrats btw) you are the parent, no one else and you make the decision that is best for you and your child. F whoever says your terrible, it's really not anyone's business but yours.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• thanks everyone for you answers it helps but I'm just curious why do some of you give a good or bad answer anonymously ??
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 11:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• after all, research has proven that more sex makes for a happier marriage and better health for both partners....and it would be awfully selfish to deny your SO the best you could give him.
    I would agree with the above comment and actually give my husband sex even if I don't always feel because I do believe it's best for our marriage. That doesn't really fit in with who asked her. It wasn't some random person it was a nurse a medical person who of course would tell her that breastfeeding is best for her baby. If she chooses to formula feed at least she can say she made an informed decision.
    I get so tired of FF moms being hostile and then saying it's the BF moms that are unreasonable and start all the drama.
    Anonymous