Have you taken your child in to get a cavity filled?

I am taking my five year old to get a cavity filled tomorrow and am totally a wreck have any of you done this with your kiddo around this age? How long is the procedure, he's going to a ped. dentist and he's been before and isn't scared to go tomorrow and he knows he's getting a filling (not that he really knows what that means) They did tell me they will do a little laughing gas before to help calm him..just looking for someone who has done this before... :) Thanks!

82ndairbornewif

Asked by 82ndairbornewif at 12:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son had a few fillings including them drilling out a mineral deposit that happened when I was pregnant with him, and filling it with white to match his teeth. His dentist was great. The laughing gas is a life saver. They gave that to him and he just sort of glazed over and chilled out while they did the fillings. I was so worried, but it turned out to be really easy for him. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• no, mine have all had sealant put on their teeth and have never had cavities, they are in their teens now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• well that's fantastic but my question is geared towards those who can offer insight...thanks :)
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 12:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Your question was Have you taken your child in to get a cavity filled? I answered the question, don't put that as your main question if you don't want it answered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Thanks for the answer Anon that's good to hear, Ive heard that about the gas, that it seems to really help calm them down.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 12:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• We use a general practice dentist that uses water-lase technology: no drills, no shots, no laughing gas, no pain killers, no pain, no soreness, no swelling, no restraints, no "papoose boards".

You go in, watch a movie, get it done, & can go out to eat on the way home.

He's the ONLY dentist that will EVER come anywhere near my kids ever again.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• oh geese lol or you could read the whole question? and i said it's great you didn't i wasn't being rude that's great!
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 12:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• That is very cool Laura, Im going to have to look into that, Sounds great for the whole family. Thanks!
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 12:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My son had a lot of dental work done from a young age. I was sick during my pregnancy and it affected his teeth. He even had root canals and crowns on baby teeth.

How it goes depends a lot on the dentist. One of the dentists my son went to he hated. He was the best kids dentist in town so we didn't have much choice. He wasn't nice to kids and wouldn't listen to them. He didn't like parents being with the kids.

My son liked having me near. He really didn't mind dental work that much. He didn't mind the shots. He hated the 'wart doctor', dermatologist, more.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009