I think my son has a cavity............

When I first took him to the dentist the dentist showed me a spot on his left top front tooth and said to watch it and return if it got worse. Well today I noticed the spot is no longer a spot its a hole! He sees the dentist again on Friday. He is 18 months. Does anybody know what the dentist will do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did your doctor say it was a cavity? or did he just tell you to watch it? many kids these days have low enamel which causes a black spot or dark brown spot and it develops into a hole and then eats away at the tooth. If that is what it is then they have several options one is to put a sealent on it, another to paint the teeth at home once a week, and i know there is another one but cant remember it right now.

All of my kids have been great at the dentist and started going at age 2, if you have a child that does not do well and they have to do major work they will give you a script for meds to relax/help them sleep through it. I have gone in many times to see a parent with a child half asleep on their lap waiting to go back and have the work done.

If it turns out that it is the low enamel and acids eating away at the tooth ask your doctor about pronamel toothpaste for kids to see if your child is old enough to use it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:00 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I don't know if he will fill it or not.. when my lil sis broke her baby tooth they yanked it out..but that was a bit different because it was a broken tooth not a cavity.

Maybe fill it? ... they have to do something to keep it from getting infected and causing pain.

Good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Drill and fill it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• OP-How the hell are they going to get him to hold still for that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Have them do a blood test to check his vitamin D. It can cause problems with bones and teeth if you don't get enough.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2009