my lil baby girl is 7 weeks old and I have been breastfeeding with ease, that is up until last week. Since then she doesnt seem to me that she is not getting enough or getting full... I feel like im not producing enough milk for her.. what should I do? I really dont want to switch to formula

flrochester

Asked by flrochester at 12:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep feeding her. It is normal for babies to "cluster feed" at that age. She is growing!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Feed on demand around the clock.

Pump immediately after feedings 'til you're dry + 5 min - use a good quality dual-electric pump.

Fenugreek - 3 pills/3x a day.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It's normal to have these concerns around 6-7 weeks and have plenty of milk. During the first 4-6 weeks your breasts grow more milk producing glands and ducts. They become more effective at making milk and may become soft. Breasts aren't supposed to store milk. As the baby nurses the glands produce that milk.

Babies may also go through a growth spurt around this time and nurse more. It's normal. The increased nursing will send the message to the brain that the breasts need to produce more. The worst thing to do is to give a bottle.

Believe in your ability to breastfeed your baby. Think of the women starving in Africa that are breastfeeding their babies and their babies are doing well. Think of the women in war zones and natural disasters that can breastfeed. Most women can make enough milk to nurse twins, that's why there are two breasts!

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:27 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• She's going through one of her major growth spurts. The big ones come at 10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months of age. Babies nurse constantly at these times to tell your body they are about to grow a lot all at once and will be needing more milk. Remember that milk is supply and demand: The more milk your baby demands, the more your body supplies.
    Don't limit her time on the breast. Let her nurse on one side until she pulls off, offer her the other one, if she's still hungry, she'll take it, otherwise she'll most likely spit it out and give you a funny look. As soon as she shows signs of wanting to nurse, nurse her, round the clock.
    My daughter is just about six weeks old and she's been dragging out this growth spurt for a week now. Nurses ALL the time for a day, sleeps for a day, repeat. It wouldn't be so bad except for her toddler brother being cooped up in the house with me all day every day this week.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Good for you, Keep strong! I would try to breast feed more. She's probably hitting a growth spurt.. Just try to feed her more but watch her weight if she starts to drop weight you may need to supplement a little bit until the spurt is over... try pumping while she's sleeping to keep the breast milk up. Good luck momma.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• FOR ACTUAL ENHANCEMENT OF BREAST MILK, IT SOUNDS WEIRD...BUT DRINK A BEER. A DARK BEER ONCE A DAY WILL VERY QUICKLY GET YOU MILK FLOWING. AND IT IS SAFE TO BREAST FEED WHILE DOING. THERE ARE ALSO HERBS. I DRANK A TEA BUT YOU HAD TO DO IT 3 TIMES A DAY SO I HATED THAT. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP PUMPING INBETWEEN FEEDINGS.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Keep Hydrated! If you are not drinking enough fluid, than you will not produce enough milk. Doctor's have said that it is ok to drink alcohol, but you have to pump and toss the milk that you produced after drinking. the alcohol could be passed on through the milk. be careful.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Relax, she is going through a growth spurt; your production will catch up quickly.

Here are some suggestions for increase your production:
    Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It's a growth spurt and she's trying to work up your supply. Totally normal! Just drink soups or oatmeal. That always helped me. :)
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 8:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I'd say she's having a growth spurt... just keep at it... in a few days it will be done with and you milk supply will have increased. The first few months are hard because of the frequent growth spurts.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:20 AM on Dec. 3, 2009