If you take your toddler to have a tooth filled how do they get them to hold still for the procedure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it just depends on where your child gets his/her dental work at. My friend has pics of her hubby holding his daughter in the chair while the dentist cleaned her teeth.
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i think its just like a regular appt..u go in there with them and sit them on ur lap?...idk..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• when my son had just turned 4 i took him for a cleaning and they asked me if he is not still if they can hold his arms because parents are not allowed in the room. I was like "hell no"...but they told me that i could watch through the window and they said it wouldnt be anything forceful..it was just to make sure that he wouldnt grab the instruments...and they said most get are better when the parents arent around. So i watched and he did very well..i was so proud of him, and 0 cavities =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• OP-Well, if I am not in the room with him they will not touch him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i felt the same way...but knowing i could look in made me feel better but they refused to let me go back with him...if its anything like where i took my son you may have to find another dentist..mine was a pediatrics only place. They said if your child is over 3 they must go back alone
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• MOST ped. dentists will physically restrain them with a "papoose board" --- horrible, HORRIBLE things, IMO.

We use a family dentist that is very patient, uses water-lase techonology (so there is zero pain), and distracts them with movie glasses.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• op-My son is 18 months but if I am not allowed in the room with him they will not be working on his tooth. Simple as that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• if your son is only 18 months then i'm sure they would allow you...alot of kids that age are terrified of strangers..they dont know they are at the dentists
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i understand...my son was 4 and i almost cried when they said i couldnt go.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Find a pediatric dentist. They have TVs in the rooms you can sit with them on your lap if they prefer. But for the fillings if they are too wiggly they can give them laughing gas. There are other options also there is a light sedation you can give them an hour before the appt and there is also general anesthesia. Try them first with only the laughing gas, they might supprise you. They wanted my son to be under general and we tried the laughing as and he was awesome! They said they wish all kids were that good, but I had been talking to him about it a lot before hand so he wasent scared. He had to get two crowns and he told them when he walked in that he wanted spiderman teeth and they said they sure would!! lol It was great and they were just awesome with him. If they want to strap you kid to a board or hold them down then go somewhere else. The only time you cant be in there is for xrays,
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2009