How should I punish My 7 year old?

I am just curious on how you would punish your 7 year old if they got in trouble at school?

So.....here is the story! My 7 year old son got suspended from school for pulling not 1 but 2 fire alarms! He said he did it just to see what it did! I kinda think diff. I have takeing computer time away,all game systems,out side time but let him keep his toys!

If this was your child how would you punish him or her?

MarineAngel831

Asked by MarineAngel831 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't forget to give your son kudos for being honest and fessing up to what he did. Not many kids take responsibility for their actions. That had to take a lot of courage! Kudos for you too, for raising a son with good morals and character!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I asked my child what was the one thing he hated doing most of all. His reply was cleaning. Now whenever he gets into serious cleaning he gets to clean. He hates it and avoids trouble since he knows the consequence. Find out what he hates and stick to your guns!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't punish them. It was a school issue so it is up to the school to handle it.

Punishments do not teach good behavior. When you punish a child what usually happens is they just get more into more trouble. When they are getting their punishment they resent you and may even learn to hate you. By punishing you may be making things much worse.

I suggest reading the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Wow. I really hope you're taking this seriously. As a taxpayer I am. Because it is mandatory that all people evacuate the school, then the fire dept has to come and clear the building. That costs money.
    I would punish him in several ways. I would first have him go to the fire dept involved and apologize in person. Then I would have him write a letter of apology to the school and the teachers. Then he would be grounded from all electronics for a month.
    The punishment should fit the crime. I feel that punishment fits because it a) apologizes to the people involved and b) hurts enough that he won't forget it.
    I hope he learned his lesson.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Yeah the whole school was taken out side and they only found out it was him cause he told his teacher he did it! We have a meeting in the morning with the school and the fire chief! I plan on having him apologize for his action! I really hope this is a lesson learned too!
    MarineAngel831

Answer by MarineAngel831 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Punishments do not teach good behavior. When you punish a child what usually happens is they just get more into more trouble. When they are getting their punishment they resent you and may even learn to hate you. By punishing you may be making things much worse.

Gaill- do you read what you post, a few questions back you said it was ok to tie a child to a chair in a day care center. What is tying a child to a chair then, a reward? You really do answer questions stupid.

To the OP - I think you did the right thing, I would also (if it was my child) write a letter of apology to the principal of the school and to bring him to school on his first day back and have him verbally apologize to the staff of the school. He also needs to know what he did was wrong and why it was wrong. While home on suspension have him do schoolwork/reading.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I am anon :23, I meant for him to write the letter of apology not you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• That must be why Gail is raising her grandchildren.... she never punished her children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Ha! That litttle turkey! What was he thinking? I wonder if he thought the second one might do something differrent from the first?

I really like Whatkids's idea of having him apoligize to the people he hurt with his silly curiosity. Before the meeting I would talk to him and help him realize how much trouble he caused for so many people, and make sure that he know's the problem isn't just that he broke a rule, but that what he did was rather serious. From what I'm hearing what he did was very very similar to what the little shepherd boy did when he cried wolf. Not that it would happen, but what would happen if no one responded to a fire alarm because they just thought a kid was playing around, and there really was a fire and the whole school burned down?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I like WhatKids idea. Your son needs to take responsibilty for what he did.

Gaiil..are you sane? I raised 4 sons in to adulthood and none have been in jail, no drugs, no alocohol, all honor roll students,2 college graduates, 1 on his way to college and the other on his way to the military BUT they were spanked, grounded, marched back in to the store when they took something (each did it at around 4-5 because they didn't quite understand the concept of paying) and apologizing. I am not raising my grandchildren, my sons are responsible for their own families. Sounds like you kind of failed while you were off being your kids' friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2009