Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can a wife raise the money......

for a divorce, and to file bankruptcy? I am so miserable, and so are my kids (they are mine - not his). I want out, but I can't work, don't qualify for SS/Welfare/FoodStamps, and am so far in debt since getting married. But, once I can get out, I will be able to get my SSI back, and my Mom will move in and help me with the household bills.

Answer Question

Asked by yellowrose11026 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I would try contacting a lawyer for a free consultation. Explain your situation and see what they can help you figure out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • Legal aid can help you with a divorce. Call your local welfare office and they can give you the number, they charge you based on your income. Good luck!

    Answer by ronjwake at 1:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • yes, call DSHS, they CAN and WILL help!!!!

    Answer by jubes at 1:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • Yes! call your local welfare office ASAP. I wish you the best of luck! keep us posted.

    Answer by alejandra559 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • Avoid the free consultation unless you're willing to get sucked in and pay fees. Legal aid will help and you also have other options based on your situation. Chin up- you're being true to yourself and your kids, there will always be a way. (I didn't know my own strength, by whitney houson. Check it out.)

    Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • Thank you all for your responses; however, until I actually file for the divorce, I don't qualify to get my SSI back, and until I do, I can't afford to live without my husband's income. As long as I have to count his income, I don't qualify for anything - well, with the exception of my childrens medicaid, but htey get that automatically until they are 18 (19 if still in high school) because of their father dying.


    Answer by yellowrose11026 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.