"Normal" part of motherhood??

I have two young boys. Before my 2nd was born I was fine energy-wise. As long as I got enough sleep I felt fine, even when I didn't get enough sleep I could still manage fine. The same goes for the first months after my second was born. After making through the newborn stage I did fine. Then when DS was about 8 months old I suddenly got exhausted all the time. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get I still feel very tired. I used to rarely ever take naps. Now if I lay down with DS to get him down for a nap I will be asleep within minutes. I have even fallen asleep when just sitting on the couch. I once didn't realize I had fallen asleep and woke up 10 mins before I had to pick up my older son from preschool. I panicked! Fortunately, I woke up before I had to get him rather than after!
I brought it up to my mom and she said not to worry that every mom with young kids feel this way. cont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• She pointed out that all this started soon after my baby learned to crawl and at the same time my older son started preschool. She thinks just the added stress is making me tired. I don't know though. I am exhausted everyday. I can't even keep up with my regular household chores. About a month ago I started working out every morning hoping that would help get me energized. But so far it hasn't help. I just feel even more weak and tired afterwards. I know the common sense answer is to get to a Dr ASAP. But DH was laid off over the summer. We applied for health care through the state in August, along with some 200,000 other people. So things are going very slowly getting state health care.

So I just wanted to write in and see if this really is normal for moms to feel. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It makes me think 2 things.

1) Are you a loud snorer and snore all the time? If you do it could be sleep apnea and you end up constantly tired and falling asleep all the time and not getting rested. My husband has it.

2) Have you gained weight and not hungry and feel cold all the time and you can't warm up? If that's the case, you could have a low thyroid level. It's not uncommon for women to develop thyroid problems after giving birth.

Do you have any other symptoms besides just tiredness? Maybe you just need a boost in vitamin B12?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Momma get yourself some vitamin a multi-vitamin one and vitamin D believe me that's what I had to do. I feel so much better and trust me I get up anywhere from 2-4am for work and I have to go all day I am lucky if I have everything done and kids in bed by 8pm and I am in bed by 10pm on a good night. GL momma I hope this helps you out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Are you drinking enough water? Being even the teeniest bit dehydrated can leave you feeling droopy. You should be drinking at least 8 oz glasses a day. Animal products, especially meat and dairy, can leave sap your energy. Highly processed foods, like high fructose corn syrup and white flour, also can leave you feeling weak. Fill your diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Send me a message offlist if you would like recipes or meal ideas. Taking a B-complex every day may help, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I might visit the doctor just to be safe. It could be any number of things - thyroid condition, depression, dehydration - that you can get some medical advice for. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I bet you'd like to have some energy and not be tired all the time.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 11:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You should go to the dr. I had the same thing happen after I had my daughter and I was diagnosed with sjogrens's syndrome which is related to rheumatoid arthritis. There are a couple of conditions that could cause fatigue - thyroid, lupus, etc. and you need to be tested.

Answer by missanc at 12:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009